Friday, September 6, 2024

a tale of two roes

Rosie the cat has lived with me for several years after being rescued from a friend's flower bed as a kitten.  She is potty trained, very affectionate and freaked out at the moment.  Enter last Friday, stage right, Roellen the street dog.  Also a rescue, she is probably happy to have a home but doesn't realize that the other Roe lives here too and they have to get along.  I have been very mindful to give Rosie time with me away from the newbie and I know she does appreciate it.  Yesterday was a full on cat and dog fight and Rosie smacked Roellen in the face multiple times with her paws and hissed a lot.  Currently Rosie is hidden in my bedroom with the doors shut.  I learned that trick from LP and JJ.  When I can coax her out I'll take her outside and feed her.  She had begun staying out all night and coming in during the morning before Roellen ever came.  Roellen is on trazodone to calm her down during the transition.  

Funny story and true!  Her foster called in a script for said drug at my pharmacy and when I visited the doctor yesterday the nurse brought up my "new drug."  I had to think a minute and said "Oh, that's for my dog."  Her reply was "Like the dog ate my homework?"  I about died.  I told the doc about it and he laughed.  Then I shared the story of how she came to live with me.  He was filled with admiration for my devotion to rescues which I am beginning to doubt!  A girl can only take so much.  She has lived here for exactly one week today following a spay the day before.  It's all new to her and we are working on a routine.  I tend to sleep later then her foster so that's an adjustment.  Last night she slept in the kennel and did fine while I snuggled with Rosie.  And this morning, all hell broke loose!  

Shari showed up with food and her toys while she had Rosie cornered in the bedroom.  She took her for a walk and bonded a little in her new surroundings.  And she gave her a good talking to about being a good girl.  We shall see.  I believe that she will come to love it here, and in fact, already does.  It just takes time.  And patience.  And me learning to put things up high!  Yesterday she pulled over a big bag of dog food and ate a few pounds off the floor.  She wasn't even hungry this morning.  Imagine that!

I watched Roellen as she rolled in the grass this morning and marveled at her beautiful coat.  Not too long ago she was a street ho and now she has a furever home.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  It puts me at a disadvantage when it comes to my personal freedom but this too shall pass ^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment