Sunday, November 22, 2020

the bevel

My Uncle Jimbo was a man of many talents.  He taught music, directed field bands and successfully remodeled many houses.  Being artistic like that, he became a crafter of stained glass later in life and taught my cousin Debbie to do the same.  I have a piece hanging in my kitchen window that she made and the center contains beveled pieces from my late uncle.  She later taught ME how to do it but I was never proficient on the scale that she and Jim were.  It is a tedious process with a beautiful outcome involving glass cutting and lots of solder and much joy.  My friend Kerri Burns is a master at this craft also.  It takes patience and imagination.  

I just watched via livestream the service from my home church and was reminded of my baptism as we welcomed four young ladies who have been through the confirmation classes like I did many years ago.  It is quite a moving service as the congregation welcomes those who are being baptized and taking a solemn oath to serve the church.  

I woke up yesterday to a flat tire and drove slowly up to Tucker Tire to get it checked out.  I had hit a piece of wood on Friday and went back to look for it to see if there were nails but it was nowhere in sight.  Dillon showed me where the wood had lodged ABOVE the tire and was stuck.  Plus the sidewall was blown so, there you go.  New tire.  I am thankful that I had the money to pay for it because normally I wouldn't have.  

The cleaning ladies have been at work down at the cabin and it's looking pretty fantastic.  If all goes well, appliances will be delivered this week.  It has been such a joy and a great bonding experience for me and Bubba to see this project progress over the three years since it began.  As I sat by the fireplace enjoying the warmth I was overwhelmed with the spirit of my parents.  They are smiling down from heaven on this whole thing.

This time last  year some friends and I put on a art show at the library which was a big success.  Not many sales, mind you, but lots of patrons who enjoyed browsing.  It was only supposed to run through December but when I had the emergency surgery in January the director kindly allowed me time to clear the place out.  All of the artists picked their pieces up during that time when I was seriously ill.  The name of the exhibit was "It's Art" and my only contribution was a recycled window with that logo on it.  I loved every minute of putting it together.  

Fast forward to late 2020 and COVID is raging like a wildfire.  The library is on reduced hours and that hurts a lot of people who depend on them for computer access, yet they can still be served.  I'm in the middle of not one but two books....Fear by Bob Woodward and Where The Crawdads sing by Delia Owens.  Both books were loaned by friends who "get me."  

I made the dressing yesterday and prepped the asparagus casserole.  It will be a busy and thankful week for all of us, even if remotely.  I pray that you and yours are happy and grateful in spite of never ending tragedy.  Keep the faith ^j^





No comments:

Post a Comment