Wednesday, January 27, 2010

let it snow!

I have never, in the thirty two point five years that I've worked at that hospital NOT made it for my shift due to weather conditions. I've learned to navigate the hill at the top of Pecan Lane both downwards and upwards in my trusty old Camry. By the way....there's only two hubcaps left now and the birds up in that backyard tree don't like me parking there. Plus, the driver's side handle froze and broke off two years ago. I've managed with electrical tape on the sharp edges. These are the things that smartass redneck women do when they know they gotta because nobody's coming to the rescue, least of all the prince on the big white horse. WITH the glass slipper, of course. I remember calling my ex one time to change a flat tire for me because I didn't have a clue what to do. I will still cruise into some good old boy garage and ask them to help me air up a tire here and there. Most of 'em are thrilled!

Of course all the teachers and such are sitting on the edge of their seats praying for Snowbird to visit and give them a free day. I won't complain (much) though, because I could have been one too. In fact, I might still make it. I think I have a few good years left with the old mind if the body can just get off the concrete floors. You know...plant a seed, so to speak.

Mama and Daddy are maintaining the status quo which is a blessing. As long as she doesn't talk on the phone too long or we wear out our visit, it's all good. He tolerates the home health team, still not believing that there's anything different about their life together. You can bet your sweet ass I won't be the one to tell him different :) That sort of thing causes an immediate running Stafford fit, the one that used to terrify me even as an adult.

I'll spare ya'll the sordid details...this has not been a good week for me gastrointestinally speaking. At least I didn't throw up. I really appreciate how Big Ernie knows how much I hate it when that happens. Somebody said it's going around so you know what that means. Stock up on babywipes!

One of my dearest not-yet-met blog friends lives in Chicago and has some new twins that are adding to the mix with her older two kids. She is a teacher at an inner city school there, desperately trying to make a difference in the lives of kids who don't have the parents that she and her husband are to their four. When we first met. she had only Jack. How times flies, huh girl? Happy birthday mother f**ker! I hope you get some snow days out of this thing.

We have been slowly sifting through the contents of this house and a few more, picking out pieces with sentimental value and re-decorating in the process. I remember the joyous feeling of seeing redbirds against the snow twenty one years ago when we were getting ready for spring move-in. All I wanted was to be home again.

Thanks Big Ernie....I made it.

1 comment:

  1. Snow, like love, covers a multitude of sins...
    Praying that things come into focus soon Janie.
    I'm sending out resumes down that'a way - it'd be a hoot if we became neighbors of a sort, no?
    That Ernie... He has one odd sense o' humor, eh?

    ReplyDelete