Sunday, January 3, 2010

i will not complain about the cold

I swear, that's what I said back in the sweaty days of July. It's hovering around twenty and I'm not complaining yet. A cold day in fleece beats a drippy summer sweat any day in my book. I used to hate winter because I was cooped up inside all the time. My older wiser self has learned to enjoy that rest while dreaming of spring and gardening. And crate training a one year old beagle who's been penned for awhile. Yikes! What was I thinking?

Lily has been traumatized by the new kid. When I opened the door to let her in yesterday and she spotted that third unfamiliar nose at the door, she took a giant leap backwards into the bushes and went straight to the top of the redbud tree. She's hiding out somewhere behind the couch right now plotting her revenge.

Daddy and I went to Mel's diner this morning where the cast is usually the same each Sunday at eleven. We saw the couple who had a deer hanging off the back of the truck two weeks ago....and the hay man who is there every week. With the sale of the cattle, that chapter of the farm will end....the one where there have always been cows roaming around and giving birth during the coldest months of the year. There will be no need for hay then so that will disappear from the landscape as well. The one thing that will remain constant is the Forked Deer river which lazily curls around the farmland.

I've been out more in the past week than during the past six MONTHS, visiting with friends and just hanging out. My bedtime comes so early I usually have to leave before I turn into a pumpkin but at least I'm making the effort. Sugardaddy sure ain't gonna come knocking on my front door.

Ya'll try to jump into Monday like it's Friday. Let me know if it works and I'll give it a whirl.

Peace out ^j^

2 comments:

  1. Change, it sure ain't something we like. I'm sorta tired of it my own self.
    Guess if we don't change though, things sorta get old and stale.
    Seems like a no win, to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Want to run a contest to see who gets the coldest?

    Happy New Year, Poopie. I am a little slow in making rounds but here I am.
    It's nice to hear about Daisy, does she have a middle name? All Southern dogs should. Adi is Adi Jane.
    And do you have pictures or will you have?
    ..

    ReplyDelete