Monday, August 21, 2023

moose pool

My first boss, besides my daddy, was Richard Baker.  He was the manager of the Moose Pool when I worked there as a teenager.  There was a tribe of about 20 of us working for 50 cents an hour which was a slave wage but hey....we had fun.  As best as I can remember the rest of them were Kay Lanier, Lee Weakley, Johnny Castellaw, Becky Schultz and Randy Ashley. Oh, and Linda Peters.  We regularly sneaked into the lodge run by Mr. Pate and hit up the bar and the steaks.  Since we were way underpaid, somebody reported it to the Labor Board and we all got a big fat check.  I used mine to help buy my first car.

Richard and Stanley did most of the backwashing because the rest of us didn't know squat about that.  The one and only time that I did acid was on a day when I was on the stand in the sun.  The water was epic and thankfully nobody drowned that day.  My ten year class reunion was there and it was seriously not elegant but a lot of fun.  Merril and Chucky covered "Love Shack" like pros.  

We have a fiftieth coming up in October, Lord willing.  A lot of our class is deceased but it looks like a decent crowd.  Thank you KayKay and Claudia for being so organized.  Hat tip to Patsye Thurmon for the creative name tags.

Anywho...Richard died and that made me think about all the memories from long ago.  I hope that some of the crew will read this and remember the good times ^j^ 

No comments:

Post a Comment