Tuesday, April 24, 2012

puppy tales

One of my dearest friends of the we've never met in person variety is struggling with the loss of his dear canine friend Bear and I have to tell you I totally feel his pain. We have wept and sobbed and hugged many a dying pet, sharing the grief of losing a wonderful faithful friend. People who really include their pets as family members and share meals and beds with them know what I'm talking about especially. The last was Butterbean, our precious little rat terrier mix of the beautiful brindle coat. She broke her leg as a pup and always ran with a limp that eventually broke her back. She was fine but couldn't get up, or even sit. We propped her up with pillows and spent quality time before heading to the vet's office and the happy shot. No sooner did we pull out on the lane than Sammy D ran right smack under the car (picture me holding Butters all wrapped up like a burrito in my lap) and rolled off into the corn field. And that is how my fierce BG got to spend her first death experience on the floor holding her friend. I looked and looked for Sammy and gave up to head home only to find him waiting on the porch. He knew where we were going with his buddy.

Mom is chugging along, working hard toward a discharge date in about a week. The last six seem like a total blur and I suppose that's less stressful in the long run. All I can say is thank the lord for modern medicine when times are tough. Better living through chemistry! Both of my friends husbands are undergoing treatment for serious illnesses and it's turned into one big support group up at the sawmill. This is national medical laboratory week AKA give us laboratorians some respect. Never gonna happen, but we always get to eat free at least once or twice so it's all good. I spoke with a recruiter the other day about lab positions and could tell him quite from experience that it's a great career choice for college folks these days because the old school is retiring. Just saying. Requirements, including licensure, vary by state. AS or BS required.

My ethereal friend swooped in yesterday for a visit between road trips and had on some earrings that I bought on the beach 20 years ago and gave to her because they were "not me." What was I thinking? She wouldn't give 'em back either! She's headed out of state to job hunt and decide where to land for the rest of her life. She's a beach lover like me so I'm counting on that for vacay. Newly divorced and on the other side of elder care, she's ready to roll. Can't say that I don't envy her just a little bit. Our soul sister of the earth and me are going to the opening meeting for our local farmer's market this week for a meet and greet and some fish. I've already shared her seeds with several friends and got gifted with some homemade vanilla extract.

^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment