Friday, June 18, 2010

patient's advocate

I spent a day off from my job traveling with my mother as she glided flawlessly through something that could have been a really rough experience. Stress tests involve a lot of image taking and in her case, drugs to simulate a heart at full throttle. We arrived right on time, pre-registered by phone with a very short wait time prior to our entrance to the radiology department where the tests are performed. There was a nurse, cardiologist, and several members of the radiology and respiratory therapy staff all taking care of her like she was THEIR mama. I wandered over to my department during a break from picture taking and found out that I was much better off not being on the clock on this particular Friday. Thank the lord for small things. I will be sharing with my administrators exactly how wonderful the whole experience was because....hey. Getting happy cards is what we're all about!

Mama wondered out loud at one point how people who don't have family or other caretakers manage to get through the maze that is healthcare today. She is blind and depends on others to show her where to sign what and what pills go in each day of the week's little spot in the plastic organizer. It is a labor of love that many people do for their family members and friends and I feel certain that when the time comes, karma will visit me. We ran into the daughter of one of her bridge buddies in the cafeteria and caught up on Ms. Mary's condition following a nasty fall when they played last. They're a determined bunch, I have to say. For fifty years they've been trading recipes, raising kids and grandkids, eating yummy stuff and playing a serious game or two of cards all at the same time. I always thought it was sad when one of them had to be the dummy :)

The last two pieces of land that were formerly cattle and horse feed are in the process of being planted. It is seriously hot as hades around here....enough to take your breath away. BG's BF got her a window unit air conditioner just so she can stay cool when she closes her door to sleep. My afternoon routine these days is to wait until the sun goes down enough that my front porch is shady. It's a great place to sit and do my nails and such. Not that sugardaddy will ever notice.

^j^ Have a great Father's Day weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment