Monday, August 15, 2022

mia familia

I have been an "orphan" for seven years now.  I have but one aunt who is alive and we went to visit her today.  We sat on her front porch on a secluded lane and waved at the neighbors as they drove by.  She is fortunate to have good folks surrounding her who give her rides and keep the boat floating.  I hope that I have that kind of help at her age.  I have two brothers who are as different as night and day.  I haven't seen the youngest in years because he lives 13 hours away in the Blue Ridge valley.  My parents went to visit there once when he was near Afton because they were all Earl Hamner fans and he took them to the places around Schuyler to soak up all things The Waltons.  I would love to go there.  It's on my bucket list.  

Otha' brother and I have sort of bonded now that he is retired and has time to visit.  He usually arrives with his dog Sadie and usually something he has cooked.  Yesterday he got deviled eggs and I got smoked chicken.  There was a day when he got  me to "cater" a meal for him and the buddies he hung out with.  They all raved about my cooking.  I was in my forties then so there was plenty of energy to make things happen, even with a full time job.  Now, not so much.

Cooking for one person is kind of a non-event.  Enjoying food with friends is more my cup of tea.   I still haven't perfected the "just enough for one" style so when I do it , I do it big and share.  Since we lost mama and daddy, our traditions have changed but I try to include a few like making Mama Staff's butter cookies with Lauren and Reaves.  And we have a Thanksgiving and Christmas meal with Bubba, though not always on the day of.  You have learn to adapt to change.  As Kaffy said, "things sure do change."  Yes Auntie, they do.  Bubba and I have had Christmas breakfast at Huddle House on more than one occasion since there is a child involved now.  We go with the flow.

I have noticed a decline in daily readership but it's usually because people decide to binge one day and catch up.  There are so many things that I want to do before I die and use my God given talents.  Compassion for the least of these is one of those things.  I don't always put it into action but that's because I just meet people where they are and do small acts of kindness.  Hold a door open. Tell the clerk at the chicken store happy birthday.  Rescue a wounded animal.  You know just basically do the next right thing.  Be blessed ^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment