Saturday, August 18, 2018

rescue me

I have never been one to indulge in magical thinking.  Sure, I joke about having a Sugardaddy but that's just a blog ploy, so to speak.  I have worked all my life beginning at age 13 or 14 as  lifeguard at the Moose Pool.  That is where I got the money to pay half down on my first car with my parents' match.  I had not had it long until I learned my first hard lesson.  I let a friend leave a party in my car and he promptly picked up somebody else and totaled it in a deep ditch.  There was a gallon of whiskey in the back seat and it sure wasn't mine.  That, in a nutshell, is how I ended up driving a hooptie 63 chevy automatic in the floor with no muffler or paint.  It eventually got both and was electric blue.  Lots of adventures in that old car, right Lisa?

During my college years I  sold shoes, babysat and did work study, etc to make spending money.  The only year I did NOT work was the intense last year of Med Tech school at UTCHS in Memphis.  I was never poor really, just lower middle class where it's all a struggle and you have to push extra hard to get where you're going.  I remember that MT school was so freaking hard I was considering either jumping out the 8th floor window of the dorm or quitting with three months left.  My poor Mama had to drive to Memphis and give me "the talk" about keeping my eye on the prize.  

Following graduation with a BS in June 1977, I took a job at the Dyersburg hospital in the lab where I never once left for 41 years.  Others came, went, came back and whatnot.  Until December 7th 2017, that job was my life.  It provided me with a decent "lower middle class" income for many years.  

My point is this:  There are many people out there who believe that the world owes them something.  They feel a bit "entitled."  Most have never worked really hard at something for any length of time and many have learned how to use the system to their advantage.  The government funded social safety net became a huge cash honey hole for "I don't have to work."  Hell, unless you're a Trump or a Koch you have to work for what you have.  I'm retired and going BACK to work because I can't make ends meet.  Where's that Sugardaddy when you need him?

Case in point.  I know a young lady, single mother, with a college degree.  She works a minimum wage job which is just about what's out there everywhere.  Her food assistance was cut because she "makes money" but her healthcare is mostly free.  If not, she and the baby would be sunk.  This is what infuriates me about the top 2%.  Can you not get off of some of that cash which is more than you could EVER spend and help people out like veterans and old people.  Geez man.  Your heirs are just standing in line waiting for you to die.

If it were not for my faith in God and a lot of good friends, I would have jumped out that 8th floor window on more than one occasion.  But I was never really that desperate, choosing instead to see tomorrow as another day to manifest happiness.  One of the things that I admire about the owners of this farm is that they are dedicated to preserving the history of the place and sharing it with their own heirs.  It could be sold for a kazillion dollars and developed but that's not what Calcutt Farm is.  It is much, much more.

My babygirl is headed over this afternoon for a sleepover, just me and her.  We haven't had that in forever, since before Reaves was born.  It helps us to remember who we are.

^j^








No comments:

Post a Comment