Sunday, June 10, 2012

self reflection

Ryder has found, and proceeded to bark at, herself in the mirror and that's the funniest thing I've seen in the while. When she's on my bed she can clearly see that other doggie and it drives her nuts. When I look in the mirror, which isn't too often, all I see are old tired lookin' eyes staring back. Rode hard, put up wet so to speak. I've not had a really "tough" life by some standards, but it's not been easy either. The most important thing to me personally is to never EVER quit trying because when you do, the devil has won. I've also come to realize that when you knock on a bunch of doors that refuse to budge even when you try to push 'em in, that's Big Ernie telling you to pick another door or path. Yesterday my friend Lorna and I wandered around the season opening or our local farmer's market and down the trail to the Forked Deer river. Around 50 canoes, half rentals, put in at Roellen and floated to downtown D'burg on a beautiful breezy sunny Saturday morning. I made cool new friends in the canoe team that we picked up for shuttle and that makes a day worthwhile in my book.

Friday I visited an old friend and co-worker who is suffering with liver disease from chronic HCV. She was at one time on a transplant list, but was removed when her lesions turned cancerous. Hepatitis C is indeed the baby boomer disease because it wasn't even named and tested for until the early 90's following HIV testing in the mid 80's. Formerly known as nonA-nonB hepatitis, Hep C can lie dormant for years until it jumps out of control and takes over liver function. Treatment of choice often includes therapeutic phlebotomy to remove excess iron that may deposit there. Interferon is the drug of choice, which is chemo and nasty. Not very good choices, ya'll. I know in my heart that anti-viral drugs that aren't a death sentence can be produced in a country where pharmacy technology can sell high price pills that give you a four hour boner. Not that I would even begin to know what to do with that!

While out to (you guessed it) breakfast with Daddy, I noticed one of the teenagers that used to be in my SS class sitting at a table with his wife and ...CHILD? Good lord, when did all that happen. Afterwards I ran into another one of them at the chicken store and I told him they had "grown up good". Another one of my kids, an "adopted" daughter and her longtime BF will be tying the knot next weekend. It's been a long road from there to here, and this celebration is sure to be a grand one.
BG missed the bachelorette weekend due to lack of funds, so they did their own little thing Friday night while Steve and his buddies did the bachelor bar tour.

Mom is doing much much better and getting around like before it all went to hell in a handbasket one Friday in March. Daddy is getting more and more ornery and the new meds arrived yesterday so we shall see how that flies. There's a lot of wiggle room with that particular drug, so it's worth a shot. All three of us are due at the doctor's office next week to discuss what the current situation is and options for the two of them. We shall also see how THAT flies. There was an early morning shooting at a club on the highway about two miles from my house which freaks me the eff out. Gang and/or drug related, I feel sure. It is slowly creeping toward the 'burg from the south again years after the dissolution of the junveile task force that stopped it cold years ago.

Still no sugardaddy, I'm sorry to report. The house is a wreck and the dogs have ticks and I'm already broke two days after direct deposit. But you know what? I'll never give up trying and never stop believing that karma is real and that the glass is half full ^j^

1 comment: