Monday, February 20, 2012

throw me some beads!

Here we are right smack in the middle of carnival and I haven't even had time to make a king cake or anything. I did see some pics of my ethereal friend's visit to Louisiana where there were trees literally draped with jewels. Sounds like fun, but I'd probably wear out after an hour or so. This old girl doesn't go like she used to. I've always been more of an Ash Wednesday kind of person, taking the time in silence to remember the reason for this season. The first time I ever saw someone who had been "ashed" I didn't have a clue what it was all about. Now, it is a ritual that I cherish.

The sun is setting over the backwater giving the ridge a nice glow from where I sit. Down below and beyond is where the wildlife frolics and doesn't have to worry much about hunters because they're few and far between and we keep it that way. People drive out from town to just get a look at the turkeys that wander around the Forked Deer river. We have great homeland security, so nobody ever bothers us. My daddy used to chase rednecks on four wheelers just for fun!

The sawmill was still there when I arrived at 6AM, eager to save lives determined to grin and bear it through an extra long day. I snagged some boxes and newspapers for Faith's delivery bed but so far she's just hanging out on the couch. Which is probably where it will start, with my luck. Right smack in the middle of BG's bed or mine. She's lucky this ain't my first rodeo.

BG's work is getting a facelift and I stopped by on the way back to see how it was going. Very impressive, knowing as I do the history of that establishment and how it was the devil's den. Her bosses are great people and she gets to visit with everybody who stops by on the way to here or there.

For the first time in a very LONG time, I am at peace with myself and the world. I'm not sure what all that testing was about for the past two or ten years. That doesn't mean that it won't all to hell in a handbasket five minutes from now, but I feel calmer and more able to not freak out. I mean, once you've lived for so long, nothing much surprises you.

Peace out ya'll ^j^

1 comment: