Saturday, August 1, 2009

don't let the basil bloom (and other random thoughts)

My garden has downsized itself to pots of herbs and peppers surrounding the tree out back. This is my second year to grow them in pots and I must say that it's the lazy woman's way to grow things, but I love it. I read somewhere that if basil blooms, the leaves become bitter so the little flowers-to-be get pinched off on a regular basis. Basil freezes well, I've learned.

Before the big storm that smashed Memphis the other night I got a text from an old friend down there. "Bend over and kiss your ass goodbye!" he wrote. It's an old joke from back in the day when we were thick as thieves and he still watches the radar for northwest tennessee tornadoes. I'll tell ya'll what....a severe thunderstorm up on top of this hill can be mighty scary, but it's a great view.

Since I was awake early, I spent the morning out on the porch enjoying the breeze and the critters in advance of the next wave of weather this afternoon. This is bound to be a record breaking summer for rainfall around here. And OF COURSE, this is the year that I choose to pay somebody to mow the yard. Sheesh.

That praying mantis is still living next to my keyboard, but he looks a bit worn out. Not sure what his lifespan is but he's hanging in there with me as I type. Outside the window there is a purple butterfly bush swarming with activity. In the distance I can see the old dairy barn peeking through the overhanging pecan trees. I can't believe it took me this long to change the view.

BG and her friends are horrified about the news that a friend hung himself. I don't know about ya'll, but I ain't into pain. If I were gonna do myself in it would be with a lethal cocktail or something....forget the guns and ropes. Sometimes I wonder how one gets to that point....where there is absolutely no hope. I've been through a lot of emotional pain but never once considered leaving this world by my own hands.

Surgery for the hand pain is two weeks away and I'm ready to get 'er done. The nerve damage is pretty severe and won't get better until that little tendon gets snipped. Of course there's the little matter of having no grip for 6-8 weeks but I reckon BG can open jars for me. I should be able to keyboard in a week which is when I'll be back at work. Wonder if they'll miss me like when I was on vacation? *snicker*

It is quiet here with all dogs napping on their respective beds and couches. For some odd reason the cat has chosen the cushion of the chair in front of the 'puter as HER favorite spot. I just pick her up and move her and she never misses a beat on her catnap.

Ya'll enjoy the day and keep the faith ^j^

1 comment:

  1. When I was BG's age I was mortified when an Army buddy shot himself. That didn't keep me from casting lots for some of his rationed clothing.
    I am sorry 'bout your wrist. That is no fun. Mrs. Jim had that done on her non-golf swinging hand a few years ago. It fixed her but the other hand got well by itself at the same time.
    ..
    BTW, since Mrs. Jim's hand problem I have been doing the vacumning ever since. Seems her hands still hurt when she has to run the cleaner.
    ..

    ReplyDelete