Sunday, June 7, 2009


It has been a lovely weekend weatherwise on Pecan Lane...not to hot and low humidity. BG and I spent Friday afternoon at Aunt Gina's pool and fried ourselves enough that we spent our two days mostly indoors. She got a big surprise delivery yesterday afternoon compliments of her grandparents...a brand new mattress so she can sleep well before heading out to the new job on the 16th. My mom always likes to pull pranks and do riddles and the message she sent to her yesterday was this: " Be expecting a delivery sometime in the afternoon. Hint: Think about The Princess and the Pea." She.was.ecstatic! The one she's been sleeping on was so worn out that the delivery guys probably took it straight to the dump. She figured out the riddle right before the truck came down the lane.

It's finally dried out enough for hay cuttin' and most of it is baled and ready to haul to the pole barn. The cotton that was planted is a wash due to days of heavy rain following the planting. Seeds are rotten in the ground. The lower part of the farm is next to the river and even though the water has receded from flood state, it will still be several weeks before it's dry enough to plant. Such is life on a farm.

I have found myself lately in this strange mood that is not easy to explain. I suppose it has something to do with having an adult child ready to enter the workforce and a lack of any sort of companionship other than co-workers and the occasional get together with girlfriends. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to be dealing with everything as a single gal at the age of (almost) 54. I've been single for so long now that it's just a way of life but deep down I wonder if I will die never knowing true love. Not a pity party...just an observation.

The boss is out of town with her hub and puppy this week so I have to deliver payroll and put out fires for a few days. Hopefully there won't be many. She tried to teach me how to do the payroll thing and could see it was clear as mud, so now she's hooked up from remote where SHE can do it and all I have to do is turn it in. Thank you for small favors.

Daddy is on a new med that seems to be improving some of the symptoms associated with fronto-temporal dementia. Thank you for that too, Big Ernie. Things were getting pretty rough for Mom and her broken arm self. She'll be out of the sling this month and the physical therapy will intensify. Then we'll focus on the wobbly knees that caused the fall to begin with. Baby steps.

I never take naps....just keep on moving until bedtime. Today was an exception and I stretched out on BG's new mattress with the TENS unit cranked up on my shoulders and drifted off to lala land. Sweet!

Ya'll have a good week...and leave room for the spirit to work.

^j^

2 comments:

  1. Hey Poopster - sounds like you all been busy!
    Had to replant our corn and beans - they rotted also. Curse the rain / pray for rain....

    ReplyDelete