Monday, June 22, 2009

bring it on


There are lightning bugs everywhere here around the lane, plus a whole lot of wheat stubble of the winter plant variety. Soybeans are coming up like crazy, all in little curvy rows where the planters got creative on their tractors. I suppose it might have something to do with irrigation and such but I never learned much about farming the land. I leave that to the brother who knows it by heart. This old gal can't even keep her herb garden alive. There may be hope though, as I moved them up under the maple tree in the back yard close to the water hose. Rosemary and cilantro look great. Basil will bounce back after this afternoon's deadhead. I've never quite figured out WHAT to do with thyme but there's plenty of it. Chives too.

Thanks to Big Ernie and my brother, I got to sleep in today which is something that hasn't happened in a very long time. I picked Mom up on the other end of a double dose of doc's appointments with dilated eyes and no sling. We stopped by the store to pick up some essentials and then she and daddy enjoyed a nice lunch delivered by the church ladies.

The rest of my day was weather dependent, meaning that I stayed inside running up the electric bill so that TVA execs can go on vacations and send their kids to expensive private colleges. I made a few phone calls to people with whom I do business, asking for a little more time to get it straight before they cut my services off. Humility, thy name is Poopie. It's a long story about how we came to live our lives on this farm and the future is unsure. That's why we take it one day at a time as a family and a community. That is why I'm sorting through what's left and preparing to move on whenever the time comes. Faith can only get you so far until reality kicks you smooth in the butt.

^j^

1 comment:

  1. I think we all find something to do with thyme. ha ha I couldn't resist the pun.
    love you
    ~a

    ReplyDelete