Monday, May 28, 2018

long may she wave

Unfortunately I don't  have a grill OR the money to buy a ribeye so it's leftovers for me. My favorite thing to grill is veggies...any kind.  There's this thing somebody taught me years ago with sliced taters, squash, broccoli and onions drenched in Italian dressing and grilled to perfection.  Wrapped in aluminum foil....easy peasy.  Asparagus is good too but alas, I had no crop.  Maybe next year.

Those poor people in Maryland!  Just two years after a major flood and they're hit again.  Looks like the Gulf Coast will get soaked as well.  This is the first time since I retired that Iam not in holiday rotation.  Even the liquor store is open today!  My sista'a neighbor dropped by today and was having a rough one.  All her brothers served and survived, but she's missing Ronnie bad.  And of course Mommy.  Summer holidays always were celebrated around the grill under the tree at Mozella's house.  

I was a teenager when the war in Vietnam started.  Many of these soldiers did not choose to serve but were drafted by the federal government.  It was not a popular war and dragged on forever resulting in an entire subpopulation of vets who came home to boos and hisses when they never wanted to be there to begin with.  The one time that I failed to stand for the national anthem was at a school event honoring a local POW from that war.  That era taught me about war.  Thank you for your service Ron Gathright, Joe Purcell and Kenneth Hughey.

Fast forward to Desert Storm.  Lauren was in first grade and her class suspported a national guardsman who got deployed.  I worked with him too.  Robert Taylor, thank you for your service.  Also James Frank and Ronald.  

Anybody who knows me knows that I was against the Iraq/Afghanistan war from the get go.  We accomplished nothing but making Halliburton rich and killing a lot of innocents and military.  There were no WMD and it was just a ploy to stir some shit up.  Feed the rich, so to speak.  A ton of military hardware was left in the battlefield, which we paid for.  I believe with all my heart that the financial collapse in 2008 was largely because of that investment.  Thank you for your service Joe Deak Steven Hopper and Jeremy McAlister.

I have two options...to be a sheeple or a warrior.   


No comments:

Post a Comment