Saturday, August 14, 2021

pecans on a hot tin roof

I have two very large pecan trees that Daddy planted years ago.  Both are close to the house so when they start dropping it sounds like little bombs going off.  Of course it's not near pecan season yet but these little ones are dropping like flies.  I can hear them rolling down the roof after landing.  On a good year they produce the most magnificent Stuarts you have ever seen.  We shall see come November.  One of my fondest memories is of me and the old man digging through the leaves and picking. I was on my hands and knees and he had one of those picker upper things.  

The landlord planted four trees in memory of my parents.  This year's crop was a total of 5 apples and one peach that some critter stole.  He also had a ton of pecan trees planted on Pecan Lane because the older ones are beginning to fall branch by branch, sometimes blocking the road.  

I went to the farmer's market early to grab some of mama Sheryl's bread and strawberry butter and also picked up some 'maters and sunflowers.  The busiest table there was the one with iris rhizomes.  I bought two.  I'm going to try my hand at tomato pie one day soon.  I don't like 'em raw but I love cooked ones. 

And so it goes.  In less than a month I will be another year older and a little bit wiser.   Had life not gone the way it did, I would be just now getting ready to retire.  I'm so glad I didn't wait that long.  And for all you folks who are working til you can get Medicare, beware that it's not as good as it sounds.  It cuts into your SS and you have to pay for supplements.

Happy weekend y'all!  



1 comment:

  1. And now you know the truth about SS and goverment healthcare insurance.

    ReplyDelete