Wednesday, May 11, 2011

reality lessons

This past month has taught me a lot about the importance of being self reliant and organized when the shit hits the fan. A whole helluva lot of other people have learned that lesson too, with the flooding and whatnot. I'd say the whole ball of wax is right about Vicksburg today and about to do a big muddy swan dive onto the beach. It's been an experience for sure, and I had to giggle today when my brother posted a Jon Stewart video poking fun at all the media wannabes' in hip boots. It is a historic day in our somewhat rocky political past, with me hating on Dubya at every turn and him trying to believe that the GOP intentions to do anything but farm out defense contracts. He remembers the kinder gentler days of Republican leadership when Chevy Chase was mocking Gerald Ford for falling down the steps. One thing I totally respect about Comedy Central and Saturday Night Live is that they don't cull anybody when it comes to being the butt of a joke. Laughter is the best medicine and our country desperately needs it right now. It's still cool to be a farmer and a builder, even more so now that we have this huge mess to clean up. Like I said, I'm glad to live on a hill.

There is rain coming but nothing considered to be significant in the whole scheme of things and I look forward to the cooler drier air behind that rain. Hot + Humid is not good for recovering pneumonia patients. I dropped Mom off today to visit with Daddy since he decided to play nice and not insist on taking a taxi home in his hospital gowntail. All I can figure is that BE knew it was time to knock some sense into his orneriness so we can all regroup. I have spent the afternoon watching two little kids explore my house and play with their daddy. He's part of the package deal from Bradley where nobody has a place to call home until the mud clears. Gracey is two and Bubba is 14 months. They picked up old wooden dowels and proceeded to spar after they had their mac'n'cheese. It's a whole 'nother world that I had forgotten about, and sometimes it's a blessing to be reminded how beautiful and dramatic that childhood can be. The best part of all it? The giggles.

I've been watching Farmer Joey's folks on their rigs all day long doing what farmers do in the spring. I totally adore the way those John Deer tractors match the tiny yellow flowers in the barn lot. This is the first year that the former pasture turned field will be planted. Maybe the peaches'n'cream corn will be out in there somewhere. Would that be sweet or WHAT? My new philosophy on life is one that I wish I had learned many years ago. It is what it is. Deal with it. All of the wailing in the world won't change what is real. And only faithful people look to that and expect something better. I'm one of them, believe it or not.

^j^

2 comments:

  1. Janey, the giggles sometimes are better than a chill pill..Like you, my country-girl innards swoon over John Deere green and yeller..oh, and poopie, you R so right...right, wrong, or indifferent..it is what it is...no amount of wishin' or frettin' will change it. I totally ADMIRE you for all you do, and all of you will be in my daily prayers..Hug your mama and get some rest..and continue planning that book...It'll not make a hill of beans a hundred years from now...you heard it here firstThat means the whole push depends on your taking care of JANIE!! HUGS!!! LindaB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better lies just beyond the dawn; we just got to hold on till the light shines, is all.

    ReplyDelete