Sunday, May 29, 2011

land of the free

Happy Memorial day eve, ya'll. I hope everybody is enjoying day two of a three day weekend which is (alas) only a regular two dayer for me. I worked on Christmas and New Year's and somehow got picked for this one too. We rotate that shit so as to keep it all fair. When the company sold awhile back, we lost about four holidays and half of our accrued sick time. Such is life in corporate America. It makes me wonder about why our forefathers fought and died for the belief that the USA is all good and true and honest. It's a nice thought, but it went by the wayside when we sold out to the Asians.

Actually, I can't complain because I've spent two days in the water at my sister's pool and even got a new bathing suit for the holiday weekend. I hate to shop, so BG went and found me one that she thought might fit and by golly it did. Everybody up there loved not seeing me with the old model hanging down from my old ass with enough room for five homeless people to move into. Stress and pneumonia will do that on occasion and I've had plenty of both.

Today was, of course, brunch with the grands and we chose a different place that turned out to be one of those made to order breakfast places where they also sell doughnuts by the dozen for dessert. After I delivered them home and counted pills and did the allergy shot thing, I headed to the store to pick up beer beverages for my friends over at Gigi's house. There's a family whom I've known forever who still owns their homeplace between here and there, and I stopped in to visit for a bit. Darlene and Terry were there along with all of their offspring, but Frank was absent due to his son's high school graduation. All I can say is bless his heart. I'd hate to be trying to decide which way to go career wise in this day and time. They own a significant chunk of South Dyersburg where the great Forked Deer flood of '10 wiped out their family fortune last year. Easy come, easy go.

Much of our sisterhood chat this weekend has centered around love and devotion as a choice rather than a bad habit. We ain't yo' momma and you need to man up and deal with that. I was single for eight years before BE saw fit to hook me up with someone who understands who I really am and how I got here. Not that he enjoys listening to all the drama, because he's got enough of his own. He just does, because that's how we roll and misery usually does better with company. The good thing is that when we have fun, we're usually on the same middle aged laid back page. God is good....all the time.

I used to think that somebody SOMEWHERE had all the answers. It was the PC way of thinking, which we all know can be tricky. Now? I don't believe in answers except as holy replies to cosmic questions which pilgrims toss out there along the road. War is bad, umkay? Especially when it's over natural resources that are a gift and a curse, all in one. God is watching us, and he/she is not happy with entitlement, whether it's from Wall Street or the feds. Plant something. Save a river. Teach somebody to read or write. Give blood. Create a work of art. That is what faith is about to me personally...making a difference, one life at a time. I believe with all of my heart that this message would be approved. If we don't begin change, who will?

Let's sleep on it ^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment