Tuesday, October 12, 2010

down to the short rows

For those of you not from the southeastern US, that's a phrase that refers to cotton pickin' time when you can almost see the end of the season but for a few stray bolls here and there on the ends of the fields.  It's all done by heavy machinery now, but back in the day there were real live people who depended on the cotton crop for a living.  When I was in grammar school, the county school system let out in October just so the kids could help their families and see a bit of history in the making.   I grew up surrounded by it, and once-upon-a-time my 'nother brother lit the other brother on fire in the cotton filled trailer.  We also had cows born on Christmas and rode in the back of a hay trailer while our daddy steered the tractor.

I've been listening to all this chatter about the mid-term elections and wondering how in the world we can possibly tell the sheep from the goats at this particular point in time.  Voting on party lines has always been a lost cause, and the free range candidates fail to make a good show because they don't have the bucks to pay lobbyists finance a campaign season where the media has totally taken control of our minds due to dirty ads.. The majority of their pieces are about fear mongering because "if it bleeds it leads."   Honestly, I don't care who started the damn war.  Let's just get it over with and move onto happy hour. Several of my friends have kids who are serving in Afghanistan now that the focus has magically shifted from Iraq to the caves.  I feel for them....just like I was indignant over the whole Vietnam thing as a young pup.  War as a commodity is an incredible waste of human lives in my humble opinion.   We are a prime target for the countries with very scary nuclear capabilities because we have been chasing the wrong tail just to satisfy our national pride and Wall Street.  Enough is enough, umkay?

I see clouds and that might mean rain.  I swear to Big Ernie, if it does......I'll dance in it.

^j^

1 comment:

  1. Rain is good; hail is bad. NY got like a foot o' that stuff last night.
    If it hails, don't dance in it :)

    ReplyDelete