Monday, June 28, 2021

the task at hand

I am notorious for running around in circles and not being very organized.  That being said, I've pretty much got my shit together since  the big move.  Most of it is in desk drawer or on this elderly laptop.  I'm beginning to work on the bones of this next piece after a lot of research.  Most of the old timers are gone but I've managed to catch up with the few that are left.  Officially, since my parents and Mozella died, Gerald Brandon is the go to guy.  He's the one with the cemetery down by the river.  There will be tales of channels dug and farmers saved from the ravages of flooding.  There are a few levees out here but nothing like down around the Mighty Mississippi.  

My unorganized self will slowly put together a story that is this farm. I'm only allowed three pictures so I reckon the barn and silos will be one.  I've enjoyed visiting these folks and learning things I didn't know like how to make honey and whatnot.  Cooking differently than southern fried.  July 4th used to be THE day up at Aunt Moze's house with everybody and their brother and cousins and then showing up to visit under the pecan tree that still stands.  She was officially the mayor because my mother made it so.  Nelson Mitchell cooked his hogs in a pit in the yard for a day or two.  Margaret, his wife, was one of our baby sitters and made the best chocolate pie you ever tasted.  

I remember when Lauren was little I took her to see the Mitchells and she hopped right up there on the wheelchair with a braided up Margaret.  I was working at the hospital when she died and will never forget my brother wearing a wool sport coat to her funeral at Ross UMC in the dead of summer.  It's what you do to show respect for those who raised you. 

Dat baby will be back home tomorrow after a wonderful beach trip.  I love being able to be there virtually through FB.  We took Lauren at about 3 to Padre Island which was her first experience with the power of the tides.   There are pictures somewhere!

Y'all hang in.  I'm trying to be positive and faithful.  Stay with me ^j^ 

No comments:

Post a Comment