Sunday, June 13, 2021

prayin' for rain

It is over a hundred according to the heat index but at least the humidity is down and breeze up.  I went to bed early, spent from my trips out in the heat of Saturday and lo and behold, TVA crashed right after that.  I used a bag of ice rotating it to different parts of my body for four hours and finally fell asleep.  I woke to lights and the hum of my box fan and proceeded to sleep like a baby

The girls came today and we got in an hour at the pool before it was time to go.  I spent much of it under a new umbrella being overly cautious about heat exhaustion and sucking on Propel.  I nuked her a hot dog which is usually a sure bet but she was so tired that it wasn't perfect enough and she proceeded to wail.  And wail.  For the ice cream we told her I didn't have.  After that it was on.  Lauren and I were visiting on the back porch when the wailing ceased so I should have know mischief was going on.  We found her AND a completely empty purple permanent marker.  Which meant shower time.  What followed next was a desperate attempt to get clothes on a three year old for the ride home.  She refused panties but I finally got the shirt on.  Shorts would have worked for the trip but she would have none of that either.  We finally negotiated the shorts on only to have her not ready to leave the Peppa Pig panties so she reversed course and got properly dressed.  I got a big fat Reece's kiss before they left.  WITH a big stuffed Peppa in her lap.

While we were swimming I told her the story of how I was the first one to hold her after the drama filled C-section.  Me and the CRNA were Lauren's coaches, each of us holding down one shoulder and whispering in her ear.  Reaves got handed to me all wrapped up like a burrito after being weighed and whatnot.  I had no idea at the time how this kid would change my definition of love.  

At that moment, my heart was strangely warmed like John Wesley's was Aldersgate.  There is always room for faith, even when all seems lost.  ^j^


No comments:

Post a Comment