Sunday, May 12, 2019

yo' momma

Everyone who knew my mother loved her.  Raised in an upper middle class family she just oozed the social grace of a properly raised Southern young lady.  She was 21 years old when I was born.  One of her biggest regrets was not finishing college but Daddy had to get his finished and they had an infant so there you go.  In 1956 they moved our little family into that infamous red log cabin.  I led a charmed life as a child growing up on a farm.  As my personality took a detour during the early teen years,  she supported my decision not to join the local sorority even though she had been president.  Every little quirk that showed up she embraced.  Well, almost all of them.  I had a rebellious side that she could not grasp because women back in her day didn't think like that.  Decisions were made by men.  

Mama worked at several different places but the one I remember best is the newspaper.  She was society editor and columnist and I guarantee you every social event she covered was told in all its' thrilling detail.  She was so much help to me when Lauren was born and after.  She stayed with me for the first week because my husband was a 3rd shifter.  She had found her sweet spot which was being a grandmother.  I cried the first night I was alone with the baby.  I was scared and didn't really know what I had gotten into.  I was 29 at the time and most others had already hatched a few.  In fact, I was told a month before I became pregnant that I couldn't get that way.  Hmmm.  Things happen in God's time.

Every little thing was a special occasion to Mama.  We  celebrated every holiday, birthday and happening that came around.  I remember finding her sitting on the steps at the back of the church prior to my wedding and she didn't seem quite right.  Turns out she had taken an allergy med and was wonky as a goose.  Yet the show went on.  She kept Lauren like, a LOT giving me time to enjoy myself.  Most Friday nights were hers.  When Lauren was 2 we went on a week long trip to explore southeastern Tennessee and the rivers.  Dat baby got the chicken pox while we were gone and I've never heard anybody so relieved to hear I was headed home.  She was devoted to many including her long running bridge club.  One of my favorite things about her is how her faith and sense of service gave her the spirit to volunteer for many years post retirement. I'm trying to channel some of that right now.

She was a Republican but back then ain't what it is now.  I think when the whole Nixon thing went down she sort of softened up on that.  No longer "party loyal" as they say.  I was in high school by then and totally against the Vietnam war.  Neither one of my parents understood this.  Valor. Honor.  I just didn't see the point of invading another country and putting our own soldiers at risk because of the draft.  You want to sign up?  Go for it.  

Both of my parents volunteered with Lifeline Blood Services which is the blood supplier we used at the hospital.  That was a very unique and strong bond for us that remains.  Mama knew everybody or if she didn't, knew somebody who did.  My friend Kay the funeral director used to call her asking who was kin to who how.  She always had an answer.

Three days before Lauren was born I started having irregular contractions.  Called the hospital.  They said wait.  Mucous plug was gone and the contractions, though not regular, were excruciating.  I was over it and ready to get 'er done so I went in for a 12 hour labor with a baby girl who was in the early stages of distress....meconium staining.  We lived right down the street.  I distinctly remember when we left there two days later a cool front had come through.  Even a bit chilly.

The six weeks flew by with us spending hours on the front porch swing.  I will never forget that experience as long as I live.  The preacher came by with the rose that was on the pulpit in honor of her in spite of the fact that I had not attended in many years.  She was blessed to be raised in the church family even though she ended up being in one of the most hellacious  SS classes ever to hit FUMC.  Hey.  You know who you are!

I am grateful for the gifts my mother left with me like cooking, a love of writing and photography.  As I go through boxes of her way back family pics, I meet her once again...the child I never knew.  I am also incredibly proud of my own daughter for being such an awesome mother.  She is softer than I was and more in tune with herself unless she's on a cleaning binge.  Then you better watch out.

I love us ^j^

1 comment:

  1. Janie, I love reading your blogs. You write so well and sometimes brutally honest. I like that. Keep doing these they help me think about my own life and experiences. Deb.

    ReplyDelete