Saturday, May 18, 2019

the anti-troll

Well, changing abortion laws, particularly in southern states, are all the rage right now.  There is not an easy answer to this dilemma and it is distinctly personal.  That being said I believe that a woman has a right to terminate a pregnancy and that right was established by a SCOTUS ruling when I was a senior in high school.  I am pro-choice and witnessed a lot of horrendous situations prior to that ruling.  

Here's what I think.  If you are against abortion, don't get one.  It's as easy as that.  It is not your job to judge others for their choices. What is so totally ridiculous is that cuts to PP have resulted in less access to birth control which would go a long way toward preventing the whole mess.  I respect those who are against abortion and I am not about to try and change anybody's mind.  I do resent the government stepping in and slapping down laws that take away a woman's right to choose.  Take for instance the "except for rape and incest" clause.  It is well known that rape and incest are quite often not reported.  And even so, how do you prove it if it happens.  Women are required following a sexual assault to go to the hospital and have hospital personnel  and law enforcement do a "rape kit."  And it must be done pretty quickly during a period when the woman is freaked the eff out.  

It is about choice, not retribution or punishment.  I do not believe in late term abortions unless the mother's life is in danger.  If you've gone that far, go ahead and either raise the child or put it up for adoption.  Is there a fetal heartbeat at 8 weeks?  Maybe.  But that fertilized egg is not sustainable for many more months outside the mother's body.  And then there's the IVF issue.  Old dude in AL said that the frozen embryos "don't count" because they're not in a woman's body.  That, my friends, is bullshit.  

I am well aware that many do not take precautions to not get pregnant and use abortion as a form of birth control.  This is hogwash too.  Man or woman up and take responsibility for your sexual activity so that an unwanted pregnancy doesn't happen.   Birth control is cheap and easy and comes in a variety of methods.  Just pick one.

My friend in Alabama remarked yesterday that she feels like she's living in an episode of The Handmaid's Tale.  If you think about it, we are moving closer and closer to Gilead as a reality and I believe that far right conservatives would love nothing better.  These folks are all high and mighty and hell bent on Trump as the best president ever.  I won't get into that.

The guys from Damascus came out and picked up some furniture this morning so my living room is much more navigable.  As for me, I'll be sparking joy!

Come together ~


No comments:

Post a Comment