Monday, December 31, 2018

auld lang syne

Here we are on the eve of a brand new year.  For some folks it's a time for resolutions.  I don't usually set goals like that because I feel bad when I break them, which I always do.  Last year I was on medical leave during this time recovering from a shoulder surgery that was not very successful.   And that, was the beginning of my retirement from the hospital.  I could not lift and do the repetitive motion involved in the work I had done all my life.  Gay eased me through the rehab with MFR and got me in working order before the money ran out.  

There have been a lot of changes this year, some good, some bad and some to be determined.  I count among one of the greatest blessings that Reaves gained a "bonus mom" who adores her.  It takes a village.  I lost a lot of dear friends and made a lot of new ones as I ventured out into the world and community.  I had my first paid writing gig.  I practiced yoga for the first time and loved it.  And I resolved the three year struggle of going back to FUMC following my parents' deaths.  It's like I never left.  

There have been many lunches with friends and milestones with Reaves and Lauren.  There was fire and rain.  Many days I was in despair over the state of living as a retired person yet I kept going in faith that my path would become clear.  Yesterday's animal totem was a gray striped cat who was cruising the church parking lot.  There's a message there and it is uplifting.  

It rained cats and dogs this morning and I chugged through water in and out of the lane twice in the trusty old Camry with no choking out.  Part of the road is caving in next to the bottom where the ditch was widened.  Gotta' keep an eye out for that dont'cha know.  

I am grateful to be alive and blessed with the life that I have.  Every day brings another opportunity to test patience, belief and compassion.  There is nothing like a brand new ME calendar to make a fresh start.  Only I don't have one yet.  Duh.

Namaste ~


No comments:

Post a Comment