Friday, April 20, 2018

there it is

We have a monumental healthcare crisis in this country which is common knowledge.  Having worked in the field I've learned a lot about how things work which is often times not beneficial to the client.  In an industry driven by profit from diagnostics and futile care in many cases, consumers are often ill informed about their options.  Let me say that I have worked with for profit and not for profit companies over those forty years and there is very little difference operationally speaking.  Both are driven by money.  

If I were in charge, and I'm not, there would be universal healthcare.  In a perfect world wellness would be FREE including pap smears and mammograms.  It makes more sense insurance wise to head off illness before it begins.  Blood glucose testing...free.  I can't tell you how many times we've discovered diabetics at those little health fairs that companies do.  Basic kidney function testing....free.  These tests are cheap to perform and invaluable in early diagnosis of diabetes and or end stage renal disease.  Expansion of Medicaid by stubborn states like Tennessee would help.

The solution is easy.  Single payer healthcare assures equal access to this basic human right we know as medical care.  There are other industries that don't want to see this happen, particularly big insurance.  Imagine working with one single provider for all your healthcare needs.  Right now I have an ACA policy that is minimal coverage plus additional cost for dental which I really need.  However, there is a one year waiting period for restorative work like crowns and root canals.  So no partials for a year.   With no teeth on the left side.

Medicare should be available to all.  It takes the burden off of the employer for subsidizing health insurance, which is why most people continue to work past the time that they are physically able.  As a recent retiree I can tell you that I don't miss the stress of trying to provide quality care with limited resources and staff.  Payment by insurance is driven by diagnosis coding.  The ordering provider must provide ICD10  codes for every test or admission performed.  This would be true for universal coverage as well.   The wait time for procedures is one of the biggest arguments against single payer.  Taxes would go up but you would be paying for solid coverage rather than a premium to an insurance company that has a well paid CEO like at BC/BS headquartered in Chattanooga.  They pretty much run the show around these parts.  

I feel that I am well informed enough to speak from the heart about this subject.  For too many years I've seen patients and their families fall through the cracks of this fractured system of delivery.  And another thing:  Cannabis as medicine is an up and coming industry that should not be fighting the fights we face.  It's a plant....herbal.  The CBD products that I now use are serving me well in the chronic pain department.  There are a kazillion other medical uses.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  Rant over!






No comments:

Post a Comment