Thursday, July 27, 2017

on the road again

I was up and at 'em early today heading toward Madison county to see my baby girl and her baby girl.  As we walked through the ( already sweltering ) heat into JMCGH for her 8am ultrasound I noticed that Lifeline had two mobile units parked up front for a drive.  That place is massive and if Lauren didn't know where we were going I'd be lost.  Some lady with an attitude tried to hassle her about a balance that she was assured last time was not a problem.  Because she was on an SRUI the first couple of months they classified her as high risk, thus the extra precautions.  The same ultrasound tech did today's exam as we watched in wonder at that sweet little face.  The doctor said all looks good and the tech estimated 4 lbs 5 oz at 30 weeks.  Reaves has been growing!  While we were there she pre-registered for delivery.  

She gets WalMart gift cards from her hotel job for customer service and needed to use that for some food.  Rather than take on Vann Drive, we headed south on Highland to Bemis aka South Jackson.  We wandered and she got what she needed, we thought.  Her card was for 50 bucks and she made it with four dollars left to spare.  It wasn't until we got back to her apartment that she realized she was missing some items.  We ALMOST headed back down south when she noticed that they weren't on the receipt so must still be sitting on the belt.  *sigh* Here we go on another mission, this time to a dollar store for said items using the cash she had reserved for Uber rides to work.  She now has three baby items in the living room compliments of Marfy Sue. 

I am quite emotional these days....sort of like having PMS but I'm wayyyy past menopause.  I guess it's all the past two years catching up with me and the raw emotion involved with becoming a grandmother.  I wish my parents and her Dad were here to be a part of it.  Had I not had yesterday to rest slip into a coma I probably wouldn't have survived today. 

I've already turned the page on my Mary Engelbreit calendar to August, wishing away the days until there is some promise of cooler air.  I passed a poor soul hitch hiking today and though my samaritan side said "help a guy out" the funny look on his face convinced me to keep going.  Early this morning as I was gassing up at the chicken store, there was an obviously impaired guy wandering around the store.  They finally got him to sit down and gave him something to drink after which he promptly passed out on the table while the law was called.  UCMTSU.

Playing it be ear on a wing and a prayer.  


No comments:

Post a Comment