Saturday, April 20, 2024

sanctuary

Whew!  It's been a long week for us.  Lauren's surgery was scheduled for 12P yesterday and she arrived a little before 8.  I got there while she was still in the pre-admission process and we made it up to pre-op pretty quickly but it was a long wait.  We sat together in that little cubicle until anesthesia came in to do a nerve block and I was sent "outside the curtain."  I could hear her screaming and crying while they did it and then I started bawling.  It kind of gave me a flashback to when she had an emergency C-section with Reaves and the weeks following that.  Her epidural didn't work so it was me and the CRNA holding her down until they got that baby out so SHE could be knocked out.  What followed was two more months of surgery with a D and C because of leftover "stuff" and then another one to repair a perforated uterus due to the D and C.  She had knee surgery last year and it was a piece of cake compared to this foot thing.

If you know her, you know that she has two foster dogs that she rescued on Hwy 412 around Bells whose owner had been murdered by her husband.  And they witnessed it.  The rescue people have helped but they are really special needs and have to be walked on a regular basis to potty.  Ava the lab won't poop in her own yard so on her walks around the neighborhood she poops in THEIR yards which has to be picked up using plastic bags.  I'm talking HUGE turds.  Gobo is easier to handle with the potty thing  but is full of energy ( Australian shepherd mix ) and will pull you down in a heartbeat.  Which he did to me last evening when I was taking him out to pee and a neighbor pulled up.  I landed on my knee and hand on soft ground and was so exhausted I just started crying again.  Luckily the neighbor rescued us and all I have is a sprained thumb.  

We slept fitfully during the night after after another neighbor took the dogs out again and Kim and the kids came with flowers and cards.  Lauren is in a shoe with weight bearing as tolerated and tends to overdo so I helped her clean the house before I left today.  This was after we stopped with emergency flashers on busy Highland Ave. to move a dog that had been hit in the middle of the road.  We had passed him coming and going and I was determined, out of respect, to get that dead baby out of the road.  Traffic slowed and some guy in a Jeep stopped to help.  I couldn't have picked that poor dog up by myself but he did it with both hands and threw it in a nearby yard.  I wonder who is missing their doggo today?

Otherwise, I am home safe and sound and there is another shift of people going by to help Lauren.  If I need to, I will go back tomorrow.  That's what mamas do ^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment