Thursday, September 17, 2009

almost a nurse


Old time readers know that it's a joke on me that my friends' kids described me that way when I attempted to explain to them what being a med tech is about. I have the medical background and the friends who care enough to nurse a patient at home. Take BG for instance. Poor thing had two wisdom teeth, one with a cyst under it, cut out and well...she just doesn't do pain. Most 25 year olds don't. I told her when I was fixing the soup that there was no way she could ever consider not having me in the delivery room because she'd never make it without my coaching ;) You know like, hypothetically speaking when she's older. And has a babydaddy.

I was in labor with her for two days, off and on, during September of '84. We timed contractions at home and put it off as long as we could but I was hell bent on gettin' the show on the road. I had worked up until three days before, running the halls of the hospital with a phlebotomy tray and swollen ankles. Even after a pit drip, it took twelve hours to deliver that child. She was born at 10PM and the feeling didn't come back in my legs until the next day. Hard dang work, ya'll. But you know what? She was worth it.

Next Tuesday whe will turn 25, a social work graduate who did it the hard way...because it was either that or give up on her dream. I am proud of who she has become as a woman, a professional, a family member and friend. She has the most beautiful smile and that means a lot because she didn't smile much during the pre-teen years and braces. She loves all animals,babies and old people. That smartass brat who was disrespectful to the teacher back in middle school has turned into a brilliant loving young woman whose heart is easily broken and usually mended. Just like her mama.

Don't tell her, but my present is for her to get her hair did.

^j^

3 comments:

  1. My eldest is a social worker with a degree. She paid for it the hard way too. God bless 'em all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a loving tribute to her, Poopie. I enjoyed reading it and I'm sure she will too. Happy Birthday, BG!

    ReplyDelete