Saturday, July 4, 2020

hotter than than the 4th of july

I have a lot of July 4th memories but one stands out among all others.  My neighbor Nelson Mitchell needed to go to a nursing home because Margaret was long gone and he had some problems. His sister Annie Laura asked me to do the honors of transporting them to Lake County.  It was hot and humid and the tiger lilies were in full bloom.  Sweat dripping off of bodies and windows.  She packed a small bag and then we took that man away from a place where many memories were made.

Nelson used to cook pork in an underground pit that took all night.  He was a fixture in my life as a child and so was Margaret.  Heck...the whole family.  Years after that we gathered at Mozella's house for a feast of everything grilled and home grown.  I always took my parents and they loved every minute of it.  Mozella was our mayor, by the way.  I have pictures of all that, Lord only knows where they are, of days past.  But these things live on in my mind as long as I have it.  We were a perfect storm of  " i love you always."  

The irony is that the family on that side of the road was African American and we were white as Europeans.  Both lands were deeded over to heirs and it stretches a long way down Samaria Bend.  It is where I grew up and became who I am now.  Mozella came to Daddy's funeral and sat with the family.  Mom was in a wheelchair then.  It's all a blur.  But I remember who I am.  That's good enough for me.  

My brother Bubba set fire to the cotton trailer across the road with the baby boy inside.  That would be Tommy.  That was very traumatic, I'm sure, but he survived it and lives to tell the story to his own kids.  This is what community is about.  Daddy always had a garden and everybody shared the produce.  Lord knows, Mama spent many a hot July night canning and preserving.  

My point is this.  Why can't we do that now?  Why does everybody have to get all pissy and pull down statues and flags.  These are history that should never be forgotten, and this is coming from a demolibard,  Without reminders of what was we forget how it all went down.  So you want to be PC?  Don't send people to rallies where the cops have to be on standby to avoid violence.  Just stay home and enjoy the day.  I mean, really.

I may never have a surgery to reverse the poop situation.  But I will do EMDR to deal with it.  It all depends on that virus.  And please....somebody please.  Tell Melania that was the most hideous dress ever.   Reaves could have done that with a Sharpie

That's all kids.  Let freedom ring!








1 comment:

  1. It is a dress designed by Alexander McQueen using sketches drawn by victims of child sexual abuse to describe their feelings. Hopefully Reaves or any of our grandchildren will never have to deal with that. Love ya, Chucky

    ReplyDelete