Tuesday, January 23, 2018

what if god was one of us

I woke up with this song in my head this morning so of course I get myself to YouTube to hear it.  I had always thought that Alanis Morrissette did it but found it was attributed to Joan Osborne.  Live and learn.  I remember when our kids were tweens that was their favorite blessing.  "Yeah Yeah...God is great."  "Yeah yeah, God is good."  It really kind of speaks to me in the way that I believe in God....that He is in each of us and however you treat someone else is how you treat the big guy.  

On my way to the doctor's office I passed elderly folks on two different streets, bundled against the cold and hoofing it.  Did I offer them a ride?  No.  But I felt guilty about it.  I smiled at the woman as I passed and a block up the street I saw her turn around and stare at me going on up the road.  The least of these, and I passed them by.

It was two years ago today that my mother passed away quietly in the night with my brother by her side.  I vividly remember gently removing the necklace that held hers and daddy's wedding bands and my cousin Mo placing it around my neck.  I wore it forever.  It had snowed and the day of her service was a muddy mess at the gravesite.  I remember facing the men who honored our family by being pall bearers as they shivered in their overcoats and fought back tears with somber looks of respect on their faces.  Ms Janice was a legend, just like Mr. Billy who preceded her in death by five months.  They are together now in heaven smiling at that great grandbaby named Reaves, a family tradition.  And I remember feeling like an orphan.  

Today's adorable picture was of Reaves and Baylee watching Mickey Mouse, huddled together on the couch contently.  I honestly don't know what they would do without Auntie Erica.  She is an angel here on earth.

^j^




1 comment: