Monday, January 22, 2018

let it go

Like many folk of all political persuasions, I am choosing to step back from the fray and watch people turn on each other.  The polarization of citizens in this country is at its' worst and there is nothing to be gained by the "i'm right, you're wrong" mentality.  I am a political blend which could mostly be described as a conservative liberal.  The things that I believe in like equality, social justice and womens' rights are held close to my heart.  I try super hard not to be judgemental or react even when somebody acts out.  Jesus doesn't like that in case you haven't checked the Bible lately.  If you are anti-abortion and pro death penalty,  I really don't think you get the "thou shalt not kill" commandment but I respect your opinion.  That's what freedom of speech is about.  

The bottom line is that we are are held captive by bi-partisan politics because independent candidates don't have a chance to raise the money and grease the palms of those who make things happen.  Remember when Mr. Smith went to Washington?  I was raised in a staunchly Republican family and parted ways with them politically during the Vietnam war.  I appreciate the service of those who lost their lives, went missing or came back to boos and hisses.  I can't stand Jane Fonda except in Grace and Frankie.  I grew up in an era where the courthouse and everywhere else had separate bathrooms for "colored people."  My school was segregated until I was in the 5th grade.  Even as a teenager, we had no prom because there was that pesky racial mixing thing.  

I realize that we have produced two generations of people who don't have to work because the system feeds them with out tax dollars.  Most of them can and won't.  But there is a flip side to that.  Minimum wage is so low that nobody can afford day care plus their benefits get cut out if they Do work.  Oh you have a job?  No food stamps for you.  Never mind that the bulk of your pay goes toward transportation and housing.  The CHIP program that is being thrown around is an honest to God necessity to ensure the health of our children. If we were single payer, this would not be an "entitlement" but something that everybody gets.  Wellness should be free.  I've been in the biz long enough to tell you for a fact that most end stage disease could have been prevented with early intervention on simple things like glucose levels,  kidney function and vitals.  Education is key.  

Those of us who see how the healthcare system is broken still try our best.  We are the ones who take the time to stop and ask about your mama'nthem or hold the elevator door and smile.  We cry when we lose you and cheeer when you get better.  If I could do it pro-bono and survive, I'd be a happy camper.  

There is healing in the universe and we have to be still and quiet  to feel it.  Life is never that way so....developing a routine of meditation and quiet even if just for a short period is a healthy preventive measure.  Centering down, as the Quakers say.

I don't trust the government(s) or mean people and sometimes not even myself.  But I always try to do the next right thing ^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment