Monday, February 24, 2020

like a good neighbor

My down the road neighbor Gerald is 76 years old. While the nurse was here this morning I heard a knock on the back door and found him there ready to bury Sam.  I felt bad about him out there digging in the wet by himself so I put on my coat and joined him.  Ellie and Oscar were present too, poking between the boards of the ancient barn.  Once upon a time I crawled up and in that thing on a whim.  Now I'm afraid it would fall in.  Literally.  

I think he was waiting to say goodbye to Lauren which happened yesterday.  He camped out in my office and when I checked on him during the night he was gone.  There's been so much going on this morning that it really hasn't hit me that the sweet little Jack Russell mix that was delivered to me as a puppy is now in puppy heaven after 14 years of fun on the farm.  For a dog, it's a wonderful life out here and he explored a lot of it with his brothers and sisters.  He was riding in Amy's lap when Tim pulled up and they handed him over, supposedly to be for my parents.  That last one night!  My mother said it was like having a "stranger" in the house.  

My physical therapist just returned from a trip to his homeland in the Phillipines and we chatted about airports in this day and time of the virus.  People are complaining about being "isolated" when the rest of the world just wants to avoid being exposed.  Get a grip y'all.  This is NOT a drill.

As for the political scene, I'm over that too.  All we can do is hope and pray for the best.  ^j^

1 comment: