Sunday, November 15, 2009

lord willin' and the creek don't rise

If there's one thing I've learned from becoming an elder, it's that nothing is forever and sometimes that's a good thing. Every ending and each rainbow contains a bit of hope and faith that when the house lands in Oz, there will be munchkins galore singing that goofy song and shaking a leg. Yes, I am a fan, even though I have no ruby slippers. Tennis shoes work better on concrete floors.

Have I told ya'll lately how much I appreciate my family? They are an eclectic bunch with a lot of warts, but dammit...you just can't help but to adore the ones who adore you back just because you're you. Not all of them are blood kin but it works the same way with friends. Some of them we work around, and with others we manage only a heated game of phone tag or Facebook picture swapping. I became a blogger many years ago, inspired by my sister-in-law, a reporter with a keen eye on the future of news via the 'net. She and T are both eat up with it, but their stories have shifted away from murder number 4,800 and the IED count and toward a much more gentle and loving way of storytelling. I admire that. He once told me that my writing style reminded him of Peggy Noonan. I read many of her columns before I finally understood what he meant by that. Thanks, bro.

At 54,I find myself wondering if I've left anything more than a carbon footprint here. Oh, I know I've made people smile and given them hugs and listened to snot slinging sessions full of pain and angst. I've kissed and cuddled my share of babies. I've been a good wife, mother, daughter, sister and friend to many. But what, exactly, have I done to change the course of world history in a positive way? Ya'll KNOW how I bitch about that whole middle eastern sacrifice of human lives for no apparent reason. I mean look...they hate us from way back in biblical times. This generation and the one coming up is well trained in the art of terrorism with nothing to lose and lots of virgins to gain. Give.It.Up. Focus on homeland security and all those meth heads cooking in the backseat of the car that the baby rides in.

I'm disgusted with what this country has become...a virtual herd of voters who follow party lines and don't take the time to actually LOOK at what government is doing with our tax dollars. It affects a whole lot more than your refund.

*end of rant*

^j^

1 comment:

  1. I've been thinking the same thing Poopster.. funny how the country has become a bunch of sheep being lead about.. and we all know how the old adage about sheep being lead ends, no?

    ReplyDelete