Saturday, October 24, 2009

ode to oscar

We've had a lot to handle here on the lane this week what with the visitor and Mr. Bruce's passing yesterday. I cried off and on yesterday, not for him but for all of the good times our families shared together. There were three of us kids in the same grade. On holidays and sometimes just for the heck of it we'd all get together at somebody's house and celebrate our lives.

Mr. Bruce was the principal of one of our elementary schools, the one that my brothers and I and his son attended. He once told my mother that I had an exceptional IQ but he often caught me staring out the window. Go figure that one! I never really studied hard the entire 12 years, and did it ending up as average in a pool of over and underachievers. Over the seasons, my parents' other friends have taught me as well. Many of the ladies play bridge together and some attend the same church. Mostly, they've been drawn together through work or getting to know their kids' parents. Ms. Peggy Bruce, his wife, died a couple of years ago. After recovering from that, he set his sights on taking care of my ailing parents with meals and visits. He was a godsend, and he knew he was dying. That's true love folks.

He and Peggy have made me who I am today along with many other parents who weren't my "blood kin" and I think I've done that with BG's friends as well. They are fine people who will live on in our hearts forever because of what they teach us to be as adults, even if the process is sometimes a bumpy road. Hey..I'm used to that. I'm a country girl, remember?

We'll be at the cemetary if you need us.

^j^

4 comments:

  1. We do tend to become a compilation of those who have touched us, no? Prayers for all involved kiddo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for your loss, Poopie.

    I bet you looked out the window for the same reasons I did - bored to tears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Mr. Bruce! He was my teacher/principal at Alice Thurmond. Then I taught at Central Elementary for 3 years where he was my principal. He and Mrs.Bruce were two of my favorite people!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry for your loss. God Bless Mr. Bruce for all the good he has done. Those principals are rare. He and his wife sound like wonderful people. Salt of the earth.
    And God bless you as well.
    hugs
    ~a

    ReplyDelete