Saturday, March 18, 2023

life is short

Death is never easy.  We grow up thinking we will live forever and sometimes we go gently into that good night. Sometimes it's kicking and screaming.  My experience with hospice has been positive with what I've witnessed as a hospital employee and with my own parents.  There comes a point in time when medical intervention can't fix it and if we continue to believe that things will get better when there's no way possible, we are being selfish.  Living creatures do not deserve to die in pain if at all possible.  Part of being a healthcare provider is that you are often gifted to be with someone in their last moments on earth to provide peace and hold their hand.  To do unto the least of these like Jesus did.

I interviewed a Vietnam vet who was a young doctor during his time there.  We worked together and worship together.  He is 81 and I was amazed at the running commentary ( from his memory!) that accompanied his slide show presentation.  These guys moved around setting up makeshift aid stations, often in bunkers, to try to save the ones who were wounded in the course of battle.  Think MASH only in the jungles of Vietnam.  As a teenager and hippie wannabe' I was very much against that war and all of the others that followed.  But, I digress.  

Current weather conditions are cold and windy.  Meh to the 100th power I say.  Every year I crave spring temps but they don't last long until it gets blazing hot and humid. That's nature's way I reckon.  I'm sure glad I don't have a Gulf Coast vacay planned because there's a blog of seaweed the size of an asteroid headed that way.  It will be a hard road for tourism this year.  

Be blessed and grateful ^j^


No comments:

Post a Comment