Thursday, March 30, 2023

bubba time

I absolutely treasure my daily visits with Bubba as he wraps up the renovation of all time.  We met at the shack yesterday where I met Abbie in person and praised her to high heaven for what she did with the place.  We had talked before and she is one of the folks that will be featured in SHE magazine along with Jessi and a shit ton more.  Women in business have to be smart and tough and I admire that a lot.  

Speaking of talking to people...my poor phone is wore out from recording Downtown Dyersburg businesses for an upcoming feature.  I took a few notes along the way and picked up business cards from the ones who were amenable to that.  The past few days have been devoted to just roaming around and catching people where they are.  You're at lunch?  Fine.  The one thing that really stands out with all of these visits is that the people involved want to help make Downtown Dyersburg a destination.  Much of this was made possible by grants for downtown development.  It looks pretty but nobody much wants to invest in what we need.  Like a freakin' grocery store!  I live in a food desert where I have to drive 5 to 10 miles just to get fast food, much less groceries.

Now, onto other more important matters like AR15 rifles and why people are allowed to buy them.  These guns are killing machines and only suitable for law enforcement or military where defense is the goal.  What is the end game here?   It's all about money and the NRA.  I don't have any problem with you and concealed carry or grandpa's rifle on the wall.  That's a totally different scenario, like hunting for food.  You like duck?  Have at it.  You like squirrel, make you some stew.  It's a throwback to the old days when there was no Kroger or Aldi or online meat.  

When the Sandy Hook massacre took place, I did not have a five year old grandchild, but now I do.  To think that all of those innocents were murdered by someone with access to that type of weaponry makes me quite sad.  I haven't seen dat' baby in a long time and it doesn't look like that will change anytime soon.  And that, makes me sadder.

No, I am not moving.  Several friends saw that I mentioned "the move" but that was Lauren's stuff.  She is tucked in nicely over there waiting for the storm. She has a basement but I don't.  I reckon if things look too bad I'll go to my old house on the hill and go downstairs.  Light a candle or something.  Faith ^j^


No comments:

Post a Comment