Thursday, August 8, 2013

consistency as a virtue

More rain ya'll. The air is so thick you could cut it with a knife which is why my happy ass is parked inside going through the last of the boxes. It's kind of bittersweet for me digging through memories and throwing this or that to the burn pile. Most of it is junk...paper moments from days gone by. I even found a letter from my first therapist apologizing for "abandoning" me by not showing up for our first appointment. We eventually caught up and she proceeded to teach me how to be a big girl.

I've had one customer today and thank you sweet baby jeebus, they took the baseball cards and left me with 40 bucks. I was ready to give 'em away just to get them out from underfoot. Mama was with 'em and could barely get up the steps without help and then she got wore out and had to go back to the car because she was having trouble breathing and whatnot. All I could think about at that point was that I don't have any renter's insurance..hell I've barely got it on the two cars, one of which runs though not very quietly.

BG and I were projecting about the next 5-10 years and both of us are quite pessimistic about the future in general, but optimistic about our ability to crawl out from under what seems like an insurmountable situation. So many have it so much worse. She loves the people she works with has a nice BF which means she's one up on me. Another little surprise thing I found was a ticket from a Don Henley concert at the Mid-South Coliseum in 1990 which is where I saw most concerts. Led Zeppelin. Elton John. Linda Ronstadt. James Taylor. Huey Lewis and the News. Robert Cray. Jimi Hendrix. The Allman Brothers and Steve Martin I saw at the Auditorium North Hall before it got torn down to make way for Mud Island which was a great venue but got abandoned for the Pyramid and then FedEx Forum.

Once upon a time the city of Dyersburg decided that the golf course needed to add 9 holes on the 100 acres that I live on. The mayor and his cronies proceeded to start the process of taking this land via condemnation by the city for "recreational" purposes. What they failed to realize is that the owner was an attorney who promptly got the company jet to fly him from Michigan to our little 'burg and tell them they couldn't do that in spite of what the city attorney said was legal. It failed at a public hearing and some private developer built an empire around the new and improved golf course that is bordered by Sonic and Autozone. Karma? You bet. Mr. Calcutt or Harry, as we knew him, inherited this farm from his ancestors and it's still all in the family.

His plea to the city board was that he envisioned his children and grandchildren being able to keep the land and continue with the traditions of agriculture on which it was founded around 1918. My home is a part of that, as well as the one that my parents live in. Lifetime dowry for them. No wonder they don't want to leave!

Keep the faith ^j

1 comment:

  1. History and memories; stepping stones that take us back to better times.

    ReplyDelete