Sunday, December 27, 2020

follow that star

Once upon a time I had a friend whose blog was named just that.  I never knew exactly where he got the name, but to me it resonated the season of Epiphany during which the wise men followed the star to find baby Jesus.  I never knew exactly what Epiphany was until I heard a sermon many years ago about the whole thing.  I also did not know, until today, that Mary and Joseph sacrificed two pigeons (partridges in a pear tree) as required by law on the birth of a firstborn son.  A lamb was the norm but for the not so well off, pigeons would do.  Then they all went home.

Her sermon highlighted how we have all had our lives disrupted by disease, death and grief.  Yet we learn to "go home" to a new normal.  It is the way to live faithfully and honor those we have lost or experiences that were catastrophic.  Remember on 9/11 when we all thought it was the end of the world?  A whole lot of people died and we were shaken to the core as a country, yet we rebuilt and carried onward.  We are resilient, and a lot of that comes from the Holy Spirit.  I cannot imagine not having faith in something better.  It is what keeps me going in dark times and joyous in good ones.  My church family, including my parents and all those before them, have taught me that.  

I am, though not at all surprised, appalled that Trump has not signed the relief bill.  I guess he's been too distracted playing golf.  This is a bi-partisan agreement that was painfully hammered out over months of bickering.  It was ready to go with at least some help for those affected by COVID.  There was pork in there, but both sides agreed to it.  Enhanced unemployment is gone.  A stimulus check that was set to roll out within weeks is now in jeopardy.  I can see how this will all play out.  A stand alone bill for a 2000 dollar payment could be crafted quickly if that's the problem.  The PROBLEM is it won't pass the Senate which will give Trump once more chance to cry foul.  How dare them deny the American people the financial help that they desperately need!  I call BS.  Twenty four days, kids.

So there were human remains around the bomb site in Nashville indicating that it was a suicide bombing.  If I were a bettin' gal I'd say the gunshots heard was he or she offing him or her self before the grand finale.  I've watched enough crime shows to know there's always a twist.  If they wanted to out with a bang, it was a success.  A very damaging success.  I am intrigued with this one not just because it's local but because I thought I had seen it all.  

I keep looking in the refrigerator trying to decide what to eat and nothing is appealing.  I have taste and smell, just no appetite.  I imagine it's the end of that Christmas stomach bug thing.  This is the day that the Lord has made....Let us rejoice and be glad in it ^j^






No comments:

Post a Comment