Monday, December 28, 2020

fear

Not much scares me and I tend not to sweat the small stuff.  What has happened to us this year is scary as hell.  What makes it worse is that so much of the misery could have been avoided had people taken the virus seriously back when the spread was not like it is now.  And yet still, there are maskless marauders out there coughing and sneezing on everybody in sight.  I try to stay six feet away from others and have not eaten out in months except for the Huddle House .  Groceries are by pickup and gas is done with a card at the pump.  Hand sanitizer rides shotgun with me. I am quite immunocompromised because of this past year and feel like a sitting duck.  And I am not alone.  Most everybody feels the same way....waiting and watching to see just how bad it gets following the biggest air travel day since the pandemic began.  I long for hugs and human companionship other than the virtual kind.  If I didn't have my dogs I'd be lost.

And there is an insanity brewing for which we are not prepared.  Reaves is 3 years old and has a hard time with the concept of "there is no more."  This is a harsh reality in the current crisis because the entire country is in disarray.  Hospitals have a finite capacity to treat and that limit is quickly being stretched.  We take it for granted that they'll always be there but........

Our democracy is slowly but surely crumbling because of extremists on both sides.  It's like everybody loves to fight now.  Civil discourse seems to be a thing of the past.  And honestly?  That burdens my spirit because I feel all of the negativity.  That's why I enjoy getting lost in mindless fun on TV.  Entertainment is an escape from the real world.  

I remember when our first COVID case was reported for Dyer County back in March.  We now have over 4000 cases and 67 deaths.  This beast has grown in size to something we probably can't handle unless everybody works together.  Like wear a freakin' mask stupid.  It's not your right to go out and infect others if you are asymptomatic.  Learn about the science of infectious disease transmission.  It's a real thing, ya' know.  Back when I was going to state sponsored safety classes the two top topics were radiation exposure from a bomb and epidemiology.  

I saw a video that infuriated me to no end.  At some hotel, a white lady "forgot" that she had left her phone in an Uber and proceeded to go off on the young black man and his father accusing them of stealing it.  It was a big scene like one that a Karen would make.  And guess what?  The hotel clerk humored her.  I wonder if she apologized after the Uber driver returned her phone.  He didn't have to do that, ya know.  Just an honest guy trying to do the right thing.  This was not a black white thing....it's a sense of entitlement and paranoia that so many folks embrace.  I've lost my phone a hundred times.  Debit card too.  Yet I never ever suspected somebody of taking them because I know how careless I can be.  And sometimes, shit just happens.  The phone disappears and shows back up in an odd place.  The debit card can be replaced.  Thank goodness they don't charge me for that.  I have done much better with being organized since I got a decent wallet and a purse that isn't bottomless.  A new car helps too.  

I don't know kids.  I reckon I'll crawl on back into neverland and hibernate a bit longer.  Keep the faith ^j^


No comments:

Post a Comment