Thursday, July 3, 2014

small town drama

Well it's official we've had several murders in the past few years and today added another one to the tally. I remember one of the nicest guys I ever did business with got shot in his driveway for providing shelter for the shooter's sexually abused daughter. Now granted, that wasn't the best placement situation what with daddy living on the same street. Then there was beautiful Karen and then the Curtis guy and now someone in a comfortable suburb over by the middle school. Yikes! That would fall to the city law and I understand there was a potential hostage situation with a young boy who was not harmed. With all the drama they've had like a chief in transit, I respect what they do. Local crime is something that we're not used to but is becoming more common. I remember when Mrs. Wilson over on Todd street got whacked by some crack headed thug neighbor. Poor thing had been out for a night of line dancing. There were witnesses and one of them told me about it.

David Crawford was a little blonde headed guy who grew up in Milltown with my ex and hired him to tend bar after his mama bankrolled one. He had dated other friends of mine but at this point in time his girl's name was Jenny. We partied like it was 1999 and Doober could go forever when he wasn't strung out on pills which was "not often." His friends carried the business for him and he met an untimely death by beating at a drug buddy's house. Not.Pretty. The other guy died recently after serving prison time and being um..rehabilitated. Dave was the only guy I ever saw who could walk a straight line in the ER with a lethal alcohol level. Last time I saw him was there. Here's where Geno came into the picture because he and his buddy came from lord knows where and started The Deli which was really quite successful. It was the ONLY respectable place for single women to have a beer and some food. Sometime's we'd drink beer and shoot pool...no biggie. Pat was the cook and she and Noler pretty much kept it running.

At that time my cousins Toby and Debbie worked with a urologist who regularly prescribed a can of beer for kidney stone patients. He would bring them out there to drink and eat. Great boss! He is the very same one who brought my wore-ass out self to tears during a Saturday night on call for 16 hours. County didn't have it going on, just saying. I missed out on retirement $$ from them by a couple of years, or so I was told. Seven years or less? You get nada. They were both kick ASS nurses in their day, much like my friend Joycie who officially retired today following years of faithful service to patients. When I grow up, I'm gonna' be her and all the others who have shown me that work can be fun. Joyce loves animals so I bet she'll pile up with 'em and sleep late.

The Little General in Lauderdale is still grieving but managing to move on and be grandma to four kids, two very young and two almost grown. For reasons that I shall not go into Boogs and Shannah are elsewhere so it's kind quiet but BOY do I miss them. Time heals all most wounds. I plan to enjoy my days off and live in the moment with my family and friends. And watch a shitload of TV! I might even watch "A Capitol 4th" like my parents do. Time will tell.


God Bless America ^j^




No comments:

Post a Comment