Tuesday, July 15, 2014

roots

Lo and behold here came Ms Mary and her daughter Juanita pulling in this morning with books and notes and all kinds of stuff pertaining to the history of our farm. We sat at my great grandmother's kitchen table with mis-matched chairs and talked some serious back in the day chat. I already knew most of the history from my daddy, but this pre-dates what he remembers. I rode in the backseat on a random visit to Mozella, who wasn't home, by the way. We cruised on down to the dead end circle drive that is on the river. On the way back, we passed the little Carter family cemetery where Willie is buried and he died in 1860ish I think? Fascinating. Further research will be into the original land grants and their deeds. The names are always there if you look hard enough. Bubba and I visited the old library and saw the map, drawn to scale by a former architect named Milton Rice. Dude plays a mean flute.

Still don't have a surgery date because I missed the callback from robo-nurse yesterday and now I'm at the end of the line. Today's project is to get my room clean and figure out how to get that recliner up in there. One must plan ahead when there will be extended left handed periods. No writing except by proxy. Hey...I'll get BG and Shannah to type!!!!I woke this morning to dogs wanting out and Booger crying. But when I opened that door and felt the cool air, all I could say was "thank you sweet baby jeebus!"

I don't claim to have all the answers, or even a few of them. I am who I am and my beliefs run deep and along the lines of peace and love. Kids and animals can't help it...we can. Everybody has pain from wounds that, while not always intentionally given, hurt just as much. What I've found that makes it all okay is a plethora of little things like a good hard laugh or bear hug. A random call or text just to check in and see if you've missed the funeral. A card in the mail that isn't from a bill collector. BF always selected her cards carefully and on theme. Love ya...mean it.

My daddy will be 83 Thursday and we had to pick up cards at the dollar gentral' on our animal food run. I called to line up a potential visit with Mary and Juanita and he sounded excited for the first time in a very LONG time. That's worth more than gold, ya' know? Ms Mary cried when talking about her family and memories here. Juanita said "it's hard to talk about this stuff sometimes."

Indeed it is ^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment