Wednesday, October 17, 2012

the final crop

Generally, pecans start to fall in early October and by November it's party time for pickers. Seeing as how our lane is lined with hundred year old wild trees that's a bunch of 'em. The past few years there has been mucho traffic out here on a dead end road what with the crackheads coming out to steal them. Mr. Paul doesn't get out anymore but I think he's still alive. I will never forget having to call the ambulance when he passed out picking and eventually watched him hop back into the truck and drive around the ambulance that had responded to my call. The one big dude just stood back because he KNEW how old guys can be when they're on a mission. Kinda like my daddy :)

One of my few cousins from daddy's tribe is in town to visit her mother so we're gonna hook up and discuss the state of the fam. Her mom is 86 and while she's still looking good and going strong, like all Staffords she rarely knows when it's time to either ask for help or quit. Donna is a beautiful woman, a veteran flight attendant who got pushed out by one of the major airlines as she aged. Her hub is an artist and they have lived all over the place, now calling coastal Washington their home. Poor thing sat next to a guy who sneezed all the way from Seattle to Memphis and ended up with the epizootie for a few days. Looking forward to a relaxed visit with her on a couple of days off from the sawmill.

As we all know, the budget doesn't allow for many electronic items so I spend a tremendous amount of time sitting behind a desk topped with an ancient Dell. That's okay though, because I'm on my feet all day at work...in worn out tennis shoes, no less. I spent my shoe money on dinner with friends the other night so I'm trying to make 'em last a little longer. Mama gave me her giant heating pad because she knows all about the back and neck pain and just how hard it is to keep the whole boat floatin' sometimes. The maddest I've ever seen her is over how daddy doesn't respect other people's sacrifices and time. That's what FTD will do to an old guy. Factor in blindness and disability and you've got a case study in home care that works. I see transition here in every day and everything that I do which is not a bad thing by any means.

Tomorrow is KY cuzin's birthday and she's always a year younger but much wise in the areas of canning, culinary delights and HVAC, Oh and also dog breeding. Right now it looks like we've got big weather coming with a cold front behind it. Today was hot and windy which is a reliable prelude to severe weather adjacent to the Mighty Mississippi. Something about that muddy water that just gives life to a line of super cells! The sand bars are everywhere now because of drought. The puppies and I went over to the slough across the road yesterday only to find that it's nothing more than a mud puddle at the base of beautiful stand of trees. My friend and I used to explore there on his four wheeler and he always had a machete in hand to clear the trail. Redneck woman? You bet.

I have two days off so expect a lot of nonsense unless I get into Michelle's nook. I have a feeling it'll all be over but the reading when that happens.

Peace out ^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment