Monday, October 29, 2012

and then the dog ate my homework...

Oh boy, ya'll. Now bear with me one more time and understand that I'm really not bright enough to dream all this shit up because my creativity is suffering tremendously from being wore ass out. Our one vehicle little family on a ramen noodle diet all made it to our appointed places today, including a FNP visit for me and a run to the pharmacy for some antibiotics. Nip that thing in the bud she said, 'cuz the fluid is BEHIND your eardrum now. After that was a mandatory meeting and by the time I got home that five AM alarm was a distant memory. As I was tromping across the street to see the nurse my mama called lining up a ride home for tomorrow. Check.

I rolled in right about the time the sun was slanting in the west and cleaned out the mess that is my trusty Camry with the hole in the muffler. After a few minutes of decompression I wandered into the office to see what was up and what I found made me stop dead in my tracks. There on the floor was my friend's Nook with Ryder's teethmarks all around the tiny little metal parts covering the electronics. She had loaned it to me so I could read "the dirty book" and of course it's been laying on the bedside table ignored. Ryder is pretty huge already and her head is at that level so, um. There ya' go. Holy. Shit. I promised to buy her a new one but it was from her son and that can't be replaced. Little black cloud, ya'll. It's my legacy.

People say that shit just happens and it's not personal when you're having a hard time. Mind over matter, right? There comes a point where one must accept that there have been too many promises not kept and it becomes dishonorable to even say "I promise." There are a lot of people in much worse shape than me and several million of them are in shelters tonight riding out the storm. All over God's green earth there is hostility and anger over turf wars that will go on until Big E decides he's had enough and shuts the whole show down one more time. I try really hard not to covet my neighbor but looking out at those who have so much and wondering how they can live with themselves without helping, it makes me say "hmmm."

I have seen the best and the worst of humanity in m lifetime. War has always been not only popular but well funded in developed countries around the globe. It is what keeps economies going and people employed. It is what gets government contractors hung on a bridge. And it it is what kills those soldiers whose loyalty is never in question, only mourned. Terrorism is not new by any means. It is a part of history that will remain for eternity because of the instillation of hatred into different religious sects. As an aging hippie, that makes me tired as hell. Peace and love kids. I mean, really.

^j^





1 comment:

  1. Hi Janie ~~ I'm having troubles with my FB in leaving a comment. It told me I didn't have permission to do that. ???
    In the process even your nice BDay wishes went away. My crazy computer must have 'deleted' it and possible others that were next in order to answer. ???
    Here was what I had written and wouldn't post:
    Hi Janie ~~ Thank you soooo much for remembering me. I hadn't read your blog for a bit (just lurk now, don't exchange comments, shame, shame on me) and read about poor Faith. Then I read the whole series and half the next series page too. You are such a good writer. I wonder but don't look to see if you still write with and for the Southern writing ladies group.

    I am still blogging also. The latest bad here is that our Adi beagle dog that I blogged about so much died. She was sixteen and my real buddy in life besides Mrs. Jim. We are doing fine other than that and getting old.

    ReplyDelete