Wednesday, April 3, 2019

a guy, a girl and a dog get on a plane

One of the many things I've never done is fly in a small plane.  I flew one time commercial and once in a helicopter.  The chopper was most def not for me.  No!Doors!  My friend Chuck flies all the time and we had discussed him taking me up with Griz for a bucket list item.   He called this morning and we met at the airport after the Lenten church service which is a whole 'nother story.

We saw all the flood waters in northwest Tennessee and he showed me where each river enters into the other.  He was a true professional and went through the checklist with me before and after we took off.  Since Griz didn't get the front seat he just slept in the cabin.  I watch planes take off and land from that airport daily.  Today was a lesson in how it works here and what it looks like from up there.  

I have a friend with a very complicated life at this point.  I've invited him to join me for the Wednesday services and he's like...ummm.  When I arrived today I noticed a nice looking black gentleman with papers hurrying into the side entrance by where the kids were playing.  Later on, I discovered that he is the one and only James Luvene.  Now that's too much of a coincidence considering his relationship with my friend.  He spoke of being integrated as a fifth grader who could not read or write in Hattiesburg, MS.  The principal's wife was his teacher and on day one NOBODY spoke to him or acknowledged his presence.  There were hate signs outside the school, parents angry over integration.  The teacher took all this in and quietly took James aside on day 2 to show him the library and pick out some books.  Thus, their relationship began.  We all thanked God for that lady and her acts of nobility in the face of right and wrong.  He worked through four grades in one year with her help.

Honestly?  That's what Jesus would do ^j^


1 comment: