Tuesday, January 8, 2013

stafford fit

I think opposites do indeed attract and that's why if you are, say..very OCD, you usually end up with a few just like yourself when it comes to task oriented things but also a handful of laid back gals like myself who can shoot the shit and let the organizers put the details together. Tit for tat. In case you're not well acquainted with the Poopster, I am the opposite of OCD in a wandering piddly sort of way. Nothing ever LOOKS organized in my house but there are piles and I'm going through them steadily. It's like I'm preparing to move and only want to keep what's really meaningful. That's what is so cool about living in the country. I can light a fire anytime the wind and ground conditions are right and it's legal. Including couches!! I've danced around several in the moonlight out front of the barn. Horses thought I was nuts.

That fire pile has been the site of many a party, most involving tailgates and lawn chairs and coolers. It is a rite of for teenagers and I was here for them while they learned limits and firmed up boundaries. Or not. At least I knew who was where and that everybody was okay. Sounds crazy I know, but they all look to me not as party mom but friend. As Martha would say "it's a GOOD thing" to have people of the next generation who think you're special. They will be my keepers as I age.

Daddy's new doc is (of course) middle eastern and we had met at work and when mom had her little spells. He came here from New York and asked when he landed in our 'burg what there is to do for entertainment. Uh. Sorry dude. All we have is a few beer joints and a Moose lodge. I about choked when I read about the Indian guy who was poisoned the day AFTER his lottery check was cut. Oh my! Sounds like a murder mystery in the works. Meanwhile, the president is doing some serious soul searching about who needs to lead us through the rest of his term and onto something that resembles peace. You see? Here's the thing I don't get. There are so many lesbian and gay members of both parties, yet the dems embrace it and the others just pass judgement on other people for their beliefs concerning family planning decisions. As long as I live I will never forgive the GOP and Susan Komen foundation for using strictly personal religious beliefs to affect funding for those who attempt to take care of themselves. Hey, you gotta start somewhere.

I ran into a friend today who is dealing with the same scenario parent wise only it's just him and he looked mighty weary. We talked in the hallway as he prepared to look at the options and make decisions with them. I found myself telling him what I embraced so fully back in the day...nay 15 years ago when I first became fascinated with hospice. My favorite Christmas ever was the one that I got some hard back clinical books on the subject! Mama thought I had lost it. EK Ross had me from hello. I wrote her a letter when I finally read The Circle of Life and found a few months later that she had died before reading it. Hopefully someone else did. Our stories are what makes up the heart and soul of being human and if not kept alive by the current generation will be lost forever.

Sammy and I are huddled up in our little cave staying warm together. A friend remarked the other day that he didn't know what Sam would do if one day I didn't show up because he starts pacing about 1:15 wanting his mommy. It's such a treat to drive up after a day at the sawmill and see three smiling faces. (notice i didn't say five cuz the horse don't grin and neither does the cat). Usually Pride turns his backside to me while I'm washing dishes. What an ass.

Never mind about Friday...it's not even hump day yet ^j^





No comments:

Post a Comment