Tuesday, January 1, 2013

baby new year

My KY cousin and I were so into drama that one year we dressed my baby brother of about 2, in a diaper for the New Year's celebration. Her younger sister was the same age, and normally ended up with dixie cups on her little head. They are seven years younger than me but that bond will always be. Same thing with KY cousin and WA cousin. There are only so many that lived it with you and ya'll better hang on for dear life. Same thing goes for friends. I gave up the notion of "bestie" a long time ago when I realized that true friends come in and out of your life for intense periods, but they are always there if you need 'em. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've shown up at the graveyard just because I had a history with somebody.

Work was busy today because well, you know. It's a "holiday". Instead of black eyed peas and hog jowl, we had pizza thanks to Marmie. It's been one of those days that looks like 6AM from dawn til dark with a thick layer of fog to boot. I'm just thankful not to be driving somewhere else in the trusty old Camry with collision wrap and one hubcap. I guess it would be less obvious if I'd just pull that last one off! BG has a career opportunity that's gonna require some real scheduling of one vehicle for two jobs. I was fretting over how that would all play out and she told me quite plainly that if Big Ernie didn't intend for it to happen, in spite of the obstacles, he would not have put it out there. Okay, then.

My organic farming friend came by yesterday and we plotted ways to salvage and garden with the wheat straw that will be left here. Gotta find a square baler and somebody willing to work with me on the timing. It could be a major thing, ya know. We shall see. I do know that hell will freeze over before I pay 4.50 a bale "wholesale" from the guy at the feed store. Dude got himself mentioned in Southern Living and has been all about the money since then.

All's well with the dogs I suppose. Ryder is looking out the window while Sam and Oscar do variations of that pose with feet straight up in the air. I looked back through this year's pictures today and ran across one of Faith when she first got sick. Even then, she looked sad. She had some good days after that..and got to spend them with her posse and get lots of loving. Sam is still a bit depressed because even though he's gay, she was his road dog.

I woke up to three texts this morning from folks who thought about me at midnight but knew better than to call. Bless all ya'lls hearts for knowing that I go to bed before dark.

This year?

No comments:

Post a Comment