Wednesday, February 15, 2023

fooled around and fell in love

My first kiss came around the time of my first real date.  Jack Mallard kissed me in the bushes and Steve Sembler took me to homecoming as a teenager.  Of course his parents drove because we were only 14.  There was a mum and everything!  I didn't kiss many boys after that.

In high school I was everybody's buddy, hands down.  I had a couple of crushes there but they are both in heaven.  As a senior I was seeing a very sweet guy who sent me roses and wrote letters.  When I went in to have my belly cut open for gallbladder surgery this other guy showed up with poetry.  Things that he had written just for me.  I fell hard and fast.  Butch came to D'burg straight from Chicago and I was really intrigued.  He got the prize that I had been saving for true love.  We were so totally alike in the ways that count.  

When I went to college in Memphis for two years he was there and we carried on until it was over and I graduated.  My plans were to work at Gaston but I knew that was a foolish decision because it was based on being close to him.  Besides, I hate Micro!  Barbara Shaw hired me at the big hospital to plate in cultures and I even put down a deposit on an apartment in what is now a shady area of Memphis.  Daddy rented the truck and we piled it all in there.  You should have seen his face when I told him I wasn't leaving.  Talk about mad!

Parkview Hospital hired me in 1977 as a Medical Technologist at $4.92 an hour.  I fell in love a shit ton of times there but I digress.  There is something about working together and the way you know like they know.  I retired from there five years ago and several sales later.  My main area of responsibility was the transfusion service, as in....keep a good stock and have a way to get it to where it needs to be.  Surgeons are the worst about getting in trouble and being ugly with the blood bank.  There is a lot of paperwork involved to CYA.  Once upon a time this lady just a bit older than me went to the OR and died in recovery.  That root cause meeting was the worst experience of my life because it was us against them trying to justify her death and there was no excuse.  The hospital settled with her family and the whole thing went away.  There was one nurse who stayed with her when she crashed and she was traumatized being alone as this woman went to Jesus.   She did what she could but.....

Healthcare is broken y'all.  Most of the dedicated practitioners are either retiring or making a plan to.  I had a nice visit with a social worker today through my kidney doctor.  She promised to try to help me with the co-pay on Prolia and checked my BP.  137/73.  You go girl.

I am seriously trying to crack on judging people because I ain't God.  I may think that I know their motives but that is not for me to say.  I figure karma will sort it all out in the end.

Keeping the faith ^j^


No comments:

Post a Comment