Sunday, March 13, 2022

grandma trickery

Reaves is at the age where she is teachable but her normal response when you ask her to do something is " I don't want to."  My friend Cathy has given a LOT of toys to her which her own granddaughter has outgrown.   Yesterday when they got here she dug into the box gleefully and pulled it all out and scattered them everywhere having a glorious time in the process.  

When they got ready to leave I asked Reaves to pick up her toys and  put them back in the box.  She came up with 100 reasons not to including "I need help."  This went on for a bit and I pretended to call Bella the little girl who gave them to her.  Faking a conversation with Bella I told her that Reaves didn't want to pick up her toys so I would be giving them back.  Reaves began to whine and plead for me not to call her and I got off the pretend phone and told her that unless she picked them up they would be going back from whence they came.  I told her I would help.  First she drug the box over to the table and proceeded to put them all in then I told her thank you.  She is at the age now where if you don't expect some responsibility from her it will never happen.  

Lauren is such a good mother with miles more patience than I had.  Sure, it's tough on her.  But she takes the time to explore emotions with her like why she is feeling the way she does.  She will raise her voice to show who's boss but never screams.  She sets boundaries with her.  And she does it all with love.

I sat with Bella's family at church this morning and relayed that story to her.  I saw the light go on in her little head that I was the one to whom all those toys she gave away.  Priceless!  The message was good as always and the choir did a wonderful piece.  We are all acutely aware of the fact that after our Easter celebration, Dakota will be out of the picture so it's like we are all in the desert with Jesus knowing what will come.  He will be hard to replace and I get misty just thinking about it.  This is the disciple that came to my nursing home room and anointed me with oil.   Before the service started Cathy showed me a picture of her precious Mama with Brother John Kilzer.  I always think of him during Lent.  As a recovering addict and alcoholic he turned himself over to God and transformed thousands of lives with his casual service called The Way.  He preached of course, but he was a counselor to all those who were lost and needed guidance.  
Thank you for your service Brother.  No more sleeping in the rain ^j^


No comments:

Post a Comment