Saturday, March 7, 2015

road trip

I lost my sunglasses sometime during the two weeks that I never saw any rays so I had to get new ones at the DG this morning because it's beautiful but blinding when you've been all up in SADD mode. Lorna managed to get her electric taken care of and the kids were ready to come home so there you go. We stopped a couple of places on the way to Lake county, one of which is Tickle's store currently tended by Mike and Sheila dba Countryside. They're hoping for a good report so they can cash in and move to Belize. This store is historic in many ways, the stalwart between Dyersburg and Ridgely. BG learned to scoop up cricket bait there. When they bought it Sheila did a remodel and it's cute as hell. I met she and Mike when they floated the Forked Deer. That was when Ruskey came to town and brought some sort of awareness to our community of the value of a river for transportation and recreation, not for toxic waste dumping. The entire farm is surrounded by that body of water with sloughs and whatnot. The back hundred stays underwater 'til May or later.

So we whizzed past all the rusty buildings on highway 78 toward the lake and Silvertop. They look prettier in the snow when the flaws of age are softened by white. Lots of rusty tin and empty strip malls if you know what I mean. Reelfoot Lake is one of the wonders of our modern world and there's a big port there and a lot of good vibes surrounding the preservation of history. Lorna and Murray and the new mayor might just get that stuff going on. The roads are better and there's a super two lane that looks impressive. Hickman is close by and I remembered my one road trip there delivering a two man canoe team at their little harbor. I got lost on the way home, by the way. Nothing but corn fields for miles around and I had to call Gigi for directions to get the hell outta' there. I also called Gumby from the parking lot of Blue Bank. There are lots of signs pointing toward the big muddy but we didn't go there today. Passed on lunch at Boyette's too. We were just busy hauling groceries in through the snow. Of course we got stuck but us old girls pushed while BG moved forward and I jumped in at the last minute as we left the pecan orchard and headed for the three lane..

While I was buying cauliflower and beer (don'tjudgeme) I ran into Marfie who came in for a few things and left with a lot more. Her son Chris was coming for lunch so she loaded up. She's been playing beauty shop and looks fabulous. My friend Sondra's mama died and I'm thinking about her and praying for some peace. Lord knows we all need it. I now have a new driveway thanks to Mark's truck which got me to work and back on Thursday and Friday. The county plowed Friday so BG was able to pick me up and get out of the house to wander. Cabin fever is serious business. Prior to coming here Lorna had been inside her house with bubble wrap on all the windows. OMG. And then there was the tour of her quite large house and the warrior helmet with Spanish coins all over. Lord, girl. Bang that drum! Propane guy made a run today even though it's the weekend and I still owe him money. I'm thinking the extreme winter of Thor and 15 is about to become a garden. Let's hold that thought, umkay?





No comments:

Post a Comment