Monday, March 9, 2015

i like ike

I'm sitting here in the office looking at an honest to god copy of the Memphis Commercial Appeal printed on the day he died. This is the story that my parents have given me, along with many other elders like the Bruces and Mallards. They did not understand my objections to the Vietnam war because my daddy is a veteran and it stood for something then. This man was stationed in the Azore Islands before I was born. Then we all lived in Martin for a bit until college was over and moved on out to the farm that has been my home. I feel blessed to have the opportunity to be close to aging parents even though it's always something and usually an emergency. When I got into the car after work today I smelled the scent of my daddy's aftershave from our trip to eggs and doughnuts yesterday. And I cried for some totally normal reason.

Meanwhile, Ryder is great with child and I've contacted baby daddy for help in getting these pups to good homes. Rescues make the best pets and if you find a vet or somebody who really LOVES animals? Bingo. We are not neglectful dog owners and take a head count every single day and night so as not to have to get up and open the door. Regular potty breaks are paramount with that many critters. Even the cat goes outside! My poor little straw bales are soggy with snow and ready to receive an application of compost for early spring crops. Normally we would already be there but of course there's the global warming thing and the Tea Partiers writing letters to freakin' IRAN???????? Somebody call Pat Robertson and tell him I give if they'll all just shut the hell up about hellfire and damnation.

I don't know what the hell is going on because everybody lies and makes money off of it and the general public just sort of buys into the whole MSM thing. I would literally die on the vine if I didn't have the internet as a way of communicating with the rest of my world. We can thank Gore or whomever for that but I know a lot of IT folks who made a killing in the eighties, just saying. In our big fish/little fish world the biggies have mostly lured folks into the lair with storefronts and occasionally precious sales folk. Josh...that was for you! Prior to that visit my phone had been dead for awhile and BG was at her group so I tromped on up through the snow and ice and purchased the first phone I could actually see to text with.

Now just listen for a minute, okay? Believe it or not I am quite conservative when it comes to core values like trust and honor. I have about two hands full that I can count on and another hundred who come out of the woodwork when I need them most and that? Is the beauty of social media. I promise I'll never ever post my dinner on FB but I might share a shot of Babyman now and then, just because I can. I'm the only grandma he's got, you know. Plus he's cute but "spoilt" as mama would say. That's one thing I never was as a farmer's daughter. We ate well from the garden and had nice clothes and reliable cars. It's about umm...eight miles from Reynolds street to the cabin where I lived but Fetch walked it during strawberry season when we were both about 14ish. Daddy carried him home, I believe. Dude was my first drummer.

Here's the thing, as Rodney would say:

No comments:

Post a Comment